Author Topic: Having trouble with thumbnails  (Read 3482 times)

Offline Sym

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Having trouble with thumbnails
« on: December 19, 2002, 02:08:53 PM »
I'm completely lost with thumbnails, how can I have thumbnails automatically generated when people upload images with a thumbnail of the image? I need one of those things (Gd, Imagemagik etc) but I cant figure out how to use them on a remote host (not your own server). How do you get them to work?

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2002, 04:43:23 PM »
THe modules must be installed on the server 4images is located. Ask you host if he can install one of them for you. Most hosts have already installed GD on her servers.

Jan
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search

Offline bc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2002, 01:46:21 AM »
If someone uploads an image with its own thumbnail, you can replace the thumbnail by deleting the corresponding thumbnail name in the /data/media/thumbnails/<category name> directory, and then using the Auto-Thumbnailer feature.

If you can, upload a php file with the content

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

and then view the file from your browser. See what operating system your hosting environment uses (the information is at the top of the output), and download the corresponding image manipulation package. I recommend that you use NetPBM over ImageMagick if it ever comes down to that for thumbnail size and quality reasons. And because I don't see too many mirrors for NetPBM binaries, I suggest that you get the ones that the Gallery project has down at the bottom of http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7130