Author Topic: Text insted of images  (Read 18545 times)

Offline mYrAn

• View Profile
Text insted of images
« on: October 28, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »
Iam trying to make a tutorial site with anoter system with no luck. So i tought of 4images. Is it possible to do so you post text instead of images? it has it all else, categorys etc. . It would bee very nice!

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Text insted of images
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »
post text instead of images?

huh?

4images should be an images gallery..
but text.....  :roll:

what kind of text should that be?
make tutorials as pdf and upload them  8)
cheers
Nicky
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! (© by V@no)
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

nicky.net 4 4images
Signature stolen from mawenzi

Offline mYrAn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 08:26:29 PM »
I mean just simple html. Instead of posting pictures i want the users to be able to post a link to a tutorial or wright a tutorial were u usually upload images :)

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:27:20 PM »
then take a links script for that ;)
cheers
Nicky

nicky.net 4 4images

Offline mYrAn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
I dont think u really understand ;) ill try to explane better.

I want the 4images base code. Were the users upload their images, they submit tutorials instead. Insted of random image, Random tutorial. Instead of Newest images, Newest tutorial. I think you understand now :)

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »
i give up  :oops:
cheers
Nicky

nicky.net 4 4images

Offline IGC

• http://www.theanimegallery.com
    • View Profile
    • theAnimeGallery.com
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 05:28:22 AM »
If you want to do that, I guess you could use one of the other fields to provide the tutorial link. i.e.: Description or Keywords.... or you could create your own.

Then, you just need to modify a little your templates, so they do not show images, but the links instead...

If you take the time to investigate how 4images works, you can tune it up to fit your needs perfectly.

In my case I am using some of the images to hold videos (embedded videos from google / youtube)... and they show up in the details page instead of the image.
I just added an extra field to the database, modified the templates and details.php so that every time the detailed page is displayed it checks to see if the embedded field is empty or not. If it is not, put the embedded code instead of the image, and the video shows up.
(This is the easy way to explain it, you must know some .php and sql to put it in practice. hehehe)

Here is an example:

Image shows up -> http://anime.igc-web.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=1575
Video shows up -> http://anime.igc-web.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=2472

The code is the same, but depending of the fields, it shows one thing or another.

Since your request will only be useful for you, I guess that you will have to figure out a way to do it yourself. I don't think anybody is going to work out a complete solution for just you... unless they want to create a similar site for themselves.

IGC

Offline ShaqMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 12:56:29 AM »
i also want that done. 4images is a pretty good script. i want to use it for a tutorial type of thing as well. I want the images to be replaced by text. Use it as an article script as oppose to an image script. There shouldn't be much change to the code, and I'm pretty sure for some of the skilled members this would be a piece of cake.

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 02:47:50 AM »
... text instead of images ... it is possible ...  :wink:
... you can use txt- or html-files (... or also pdf-files ...) for your text ...

1. add txt or html as new file extensions in the ACP settings valid file extensions ...
2. add the new $mime_type_match['txt'] or $mime_type_match['html'] in your includes/upload_definitions.php ...
3. create and add new media-templates (txt.html or html.html) in your templates/<your template>/media/ folder ...
3. create and add new media-icons (txt.gif or html.gif) in your templates/<your_template>/icons/ folder ...

... and now you can upload text-files (txt or html) to your gallery ...
... and if there are more questions ... try this here or here...

examples :
-> txt-file
-> html-file
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline __G__

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 04:33:14 AM »
which mod is this http://anime.igc-web.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=1575  <<< where it showing u have to download the image for the full dimension and it shows the image in what ever the dimension i guess he setted for all images can someone please lemme know which mod is this this is so cool

Offline KurtW

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • Malediven-Bilder ~~Dreams~~
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 07:30:36 AM »
which mod is this http://anime.igc-web.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=1575  <<< where it showing u have to download the image for the full dimension and it shows the image in what ever the dimension i guess he setted for all images can someone please lemme know which mod is this this is so cool

Hi,
i think, you meen this: phpthumb
with this script you can set the size in the details smaller
search about this in this forum...

cu
Kurt

Offline KurtW

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • Malediven-Bilder ~~Dreams~~
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 07:37:32 AM »
I dont think u really understand ;) ill try to explane better.

I want the 4images base code. Were the users upload their images, they submit tutorials instead. Insted of random image, Random tutorial. Instead of Newest images, Newest tutorial. I think you understand now :)

Hi mYrAn ,

yes, it is possible :wink:
but actually no mod for this.
Look to my button-generator. You can put with this script a text in a image.
Different color, text size, shadow ...
I think, only one problem:
You must give the script a image for create.

-When you give a big image with a small tutorial  :roll:
-When you give a small image with a big tutorial  :roll:

cu
Kurt

Offline IGC

• View Profile
    • theAnimeGallery.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 06:13:59 AM »

__G__ it is not a published mod, I don't know if phpthumb will work the same way. But the one in my site is a little modification that I made. It works much like the BIG folder does. What I've done is created a little admin plugin that scans all the images, if it finds an image larger than 350px in any dimension, it will ask me if I want to create a "reduced" file for it. The reduced file is stored in a /reduced folder inside the media/categoryXXX/ folder where the actual image resides. (if a reduced file already exists, the reduce plugin doesn't ask me if I want to recreate it, it is like the auto-thumbnailer)

Once I have all the reduced images, when I call details.php, I check if the reduced image exists. If it does, the reduced image is shown, and the actual image is linked by the download button. If the reduced image does not exists, the actual image is shown and the download image points to that one too.

I looked everywhere for a way to do this but didn't find it, so that's why I did it myself... I thought of using "big" but it seems like you need to create the reduced image yourself and then add the big image to the big folder... and if you move / delete the image, the big image stays there.... so I created this one to suit my needs. hehehe.

If you want I could go back and see if I can figure out what I changed exactly... but it wouldn't be before Christmas... (too busyyy right now, to look at all the files and write a proper mod with step by step instructions)

Offline __G__

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 01:16:00 AM »
Thanks igc if u can do that that be great but one question i do have google and youtube video mod installed i dont think so that be a problem but just askin if it will work wid that but i think you should post the mod here its great mod good job..

Offline IGC

• View Profile
    • theAnimeGallery.com
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 05:51:11 AM »
Thanks igc if u can do that that be great but one question i do have google and youtube video mod installed i dont think so that be a problem but just askin if it will work wid that but i think you should post the mod here its great mod good job..

I don't know how the youtube / google video mod you have installed works, but I actually have made my own mod to allow videos to be added to my gallery

http://anime.igc-web.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=3256

And it does not interfere with the reduced image mod at all... I guess the mod you installed will work the same way, that if you have embedded content, it is shown, if not the image is shown... if that is the case, there should be no problem... since the reduced image mod changes the way the image is pulled up from the server, so it is only called if you are actually displaying an image, if not, nothing happens.

IGC