Author Topic: Migrating to a new server  (Read 8611 times)

Offline JeremyCherfas

• View Profile
Migrating to a new server
« on: June 04, 2003, 07:46:26 PM »
At the moment I am enthusiastically developing a 4Images site using the localhost of my Mac. How easy will it be to migrate to another server? Maybe it is as simple as making a backup of the data on localhost and restoring it on the new server. (This has worked with other PHP packages.) If so, I will be tempted to work offline a lot of the time to add photos and so on.

Does anyone have any experience of migrating from one server to another?

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline www.girls-on-bikes.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.girls-on-bikes.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 09:01:17 PM »
Yes, just back up your data, backup your SQL DB, and you should be good to go.  The 4images script was designed with no hard coded URLs, so it's easy to move it to a different directory, or even a different host.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2003, 10:20:40 PM »
also, exact same question was asked YESTERDAY... maybe its time do some search sometime ;)
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline www.girls-on-bikes.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.girls-on-bikes.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 10:44:06 PM »
We need to highlight the "search" link with big bright orange and pink polka-dots, and put big arrows pointing to it  :lol:

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 10:53:43 PM »
We need to highlight the "search" link with big bright orange and pink polka-dots, and put big arrows pointing to it  :lol:

lol and remove all other links :lol:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline rohanrohanrohan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 11:20:13 PM »
true guys u have to answer a lot of repeat questions here, and it gets frustrating. personnally I would!

I suggest u guys make a extensive FAQ section so most questions are answered. will save u LOT MORE time in the long run.

thanks for all the help given so far!

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 11:28:20 PM »
Quote from: rohanrohanrohan
I suggest u guys make a extensive FAQ section so most questions are answered. will save u LOT MORE time in the long run.
unfortunetly even with small FAQ section this doesnt work...people reather post a question then try to find the answer at the forum...
personaly I'd just delete those repeat question without answering...:roll:
counsider it as spam...(actualy because of those repeat questions its became hard to find the sollution on this forum.)

Offline rohanrohanrohan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 11:32:55 PM »
Quote from: V@no
Quote from: rohanrohanrohan
unfortunetly even with small FAQ section this doesnt work...people reather post a question then try to find the answer at the forum...
personaly I'd just delete those repeat question without answering...:roll:
counsider it as spam...(actualy because of those repeat questions its became hard to find the sollution on this forum.)

well the current faq deals with only a couple of issues. It doesnt cater for most of the problems people face. From experience, I would say people post their questions becuase its just so time consumimg searching the forums for past posts/questions.

That is why an "extensive" FAQ is the way to go. currently from a rough count there are only 15 topics in FAQ. im sure there are much more issues with the board.

if u guys wanna make your job easier this is the way to go. just my personal opinion.

Offline JeremyCherfas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2003, 12:13:03 AM »
Many thanks all. And I did search, but I searched for migrate and server. And I saw one thread but it didn't finally answer my question because the person -- can't remember who -- ended up doing the whole thing by FTP, which I want to avoid!

I won't be doing the move for a few weeks yet, but if I do have trouble I'll know where to come.
Jeremy

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2003, 12:24:32 AM »
Quote from: JeremyCherfas
And I did search, but I searched for migrate and server. And I saw one thread but it didn't finally answer my question because the person -- can't remember who -- ended up doing the whole thing by FTP, which I want to avoid!

the search result doesnt generates by a person, so sometimes u should search for synonyms as well.
here is the post I was talking about ;)
http://4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6014

Offline JeremyCherfas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 09:23:31 AM »
Thanks. I'll make sure I do lots of searches before asking any more silly questions. :roll:
Jeremy