Author Topic: FeatureRequest:search engine friendly url's  (Read 6620 times)

Offline Panther_1

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
FeatureRequest:search engine friendly url's
« on: August 01, 2006, 10:03:03 AM »

hy,

I found it will be very nice to see search engine friendly url's in the next Version of 4images.
I know there is a mod doing this, but why not will it not integratet in the main distribution?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: FeatureRequest:search engine friendly url's
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:51:49 AM »
simply because at least 1/3 of the servers doesnt support mod_rewrite or even .htaccess itself...Thats why 4images trying to be more compatible with most of the servers while mods can be tweaked for specific server-related issues.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Panther_1

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »
simply because at least 1/3 of the servers doesnt support mod_rewrite or even .htaccess itself...Thats why 4images trying to be more compatible with most of the servers while mods can be tweaked for specific server-related issues.

I think this is no longer true. Cause the very cheap root servers. But I can see that there are many server without mod_rewirte even non apaches like lighttpd's.  But why not a solution for all users? You must not use mod_rewrite for search engine friendly urls. Yes it ist the easy way but It goes without too.

Or

Why ist ist not configurable. So that you must not use it if the server doesn't support it.

The problem with mod is that they are not in in the main distribution. they often break on new versions cause no standart API.
I will full ack you if there would be a standart API for such mods,. so that it don't break on everey update.

Offline dkg

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:47:57 AM »
I agree. SEO URIs would be very important. I'll not give such freaking long and crypted URIs to my customers. I paid for 4images and hope it will be done soon.

Offline supercookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 10:58:18 AM »
Full ACK, Panther_1  :!: