Author Topic: Unable to get Thumbnailer to work  (Read 4163 times)

Offline vinniefoo

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Unable to get Thumbnailer to work
« on: June 08, 2003, 03:44:16 AM »
Hi,
I have a question about the thumbnailing feature in 4images.  I haven't been able to get it to work with NetPBM (ImageMagik and GD requires shell accounts to install them (correct me if I'm wrong), but my web server doesn't allow shell account so I will not use them).  I have copy an uncompressed version of NetPBM to the directory /4images/netpbm/ and pointed my Control Panel settings to this directory.  The error I get when I click on "Auto-THumbnailer" in Control Panel is "NetPbm module not found or incorrect path".  

I tried many different paths settings but still I get the same error.   I haven't been able to find any documentations on how to integrate 4image with thumbnail programs.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Vincent

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2003, 06:08:40 AM »
make sure that the NetPBM version is correct for your host's system
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline vinniefoo

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
still problems
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 10:00:15 AM »
Just found out that the host server has all three programs installed.  I tried the directories they gave me but none of them work with 4images.  Still getting the same error.   What could I try next?

Vincent

Offline Syke

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.971fm.net
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 01:07:14 AM »
I have a similar issue to this.. and I think it has something to do with virtual hosts etc..

Part of the proble is, 4images is a PHP script.. and on some hosts, to call something like ImageMagick, you have to be able to access executables somewhere.. well, unless PHP runs in a cgi-bin, this may not work properly becuase PHP inherently uses "nobody" as it's author.. and virtual hosts don't let "nobody" write to peoples web spaces..

In other words, it becomes a permissions issue..

If anyone knows about this, or a way around it, please let us know..

8)

Syke