Author Topic: captcha not showing  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Caiapfas

• View Profile
captcha not showing
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »
I have 4 images installed to 2 sites on the same server using the same templates. one is showing captcha one is not. how can i fix this issue.

the only diffrence is one site is in the root or the website , the other is in a subdir

Offline V@nо

• Addicted member
    • View Profile
Re: captcha not showing
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 07:51:14 PM »
There is not enough information. Provide a link to the site in question if you can
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
If I asked you to PM me, I meant PM to my primary account, this account doesn't accept PMs.

Offline Caiapfas

• View Profile
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 02:51:34 AM by Caiapfas »

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »
It seems that your captcha.php file or possible other files were modified and were saved in UTF8/UTF16 encoding with BOM.
Either upload unmodified files to the server or save all files you've modified in ACSII encoding or UTF8/16 encoding without BOM (notepad and wordpad in XP/Vista save files in UTF/Unicode with BOM, so you should not use these editors)
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Caiapfas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:14 AM »
i downloaded all the files from the site that works and then uploaded them to the one that doesnt, no luck, still doesnt work

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:35 AM »
Ok, this is how your captcha image looks like inside:

Now, this how it should look like:

See these extra 3 bytes at the beginning? these are BOM indicator for text in UTF8 encoding. This means a file on your server is saved in UTF8 encoding with BOM and until you find that file and replace it with ASCII encoded your captcha won't work and nobody can help you.

Now that you know the cause, the problem is almost solved...just find the file ;)

P.S. just trace your steps, what files have you edited?

P.P.S. I don't see much of modifications on your site, maybe you should update your 4images?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 06:03:10 AM by V@no »
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)