Author Topic: netpbm setup - QUICK TUTORIAL (by vanillageek)  (Read 16806 times)

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
netpbm setup - QUICK TUTORIAL (by vanillageek)
« on: March 27, 2005, 04:14:21 AM »
So you want to be able to autothumbnail gif images?
Are you having trouble with netpbm?
I answered yes to both of those questions at one time.

If you are tired of searching the forums, please read this. it should help you fix your problems.

1. Download netpbm from this location:
http://sniptools.com/av/netpbm.zip

**LOCATION WAS UPDATED***

2. Unzip the files to your harddrive into a folder called netpbm.

The folder structure should look something like this.

3. Create a php file with the following contents, and name it path.php

Code: [Select]
<?php 

if (empty($PATH_TRANSLATED)) { 
$pathinfo $SCRIPT_FILENAME
}else{ 
$pathinfo $PATH_TRANSLATED

$lastseparator strrpos($pathinfo,"/"); 

if (!
$lastseparator) { 
$lastseparator strrpos($pathinfo,"\\"); 

$pathname substr($pathinfo,0,$lastseparator+1); 

print 
"Maybe this file is in <br> $pathname"
?>

This code came from the following thread, and was posted by lutz:

http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=7551&highlight=netpbm+path

Make sure you save path.php INSIDE the netpbm directory

4. Now, open up an ftp client and ftp that directory (in its entirety) to your website, under the 4images folder (or whatever you called it).

The path should be: www.yourwebsite.com/4images/netbpm

5. Now, chmod the netbpm folder and ALL files in it to 777

6. In your browser, open up www.yourwebsite.com/4images/netbpm/path.php

It will output the probable path for netbmp.

Write that down, or copy and paste it somewhere, WITHOUT THE LAST /

7. Open up www.yourwebsite.com/4images/admin in your web browser.

8. Scroll down to Conversion tool for thumbnail.

Choose NetPBM from the dropdown box.

9. Right under that it will say: If you have selected "ImageMagick" or "NetPBM", enter path and program name

10. Enter in the path that was given to you when you opened up path.php

REMEMBER TO LEAVE OFF THE LAST /

11. Scroll further down the admin page until you see Auto-create thumbnail
. Choose yes.

12. Please note, you need to store the images in the /4images/data/media/[number of the album] directory.

Go to www.yourwebpage.com/4images/admin and choose Auto-thumbnailer. Then check the database for missing files.

13. Now, time to test it! Open up www.yourwebsite.com/4images in your web browser and upload a photo. Upload a gif or jpg if you like. After you upload it, click on the category to make sure that the thumbnail was created. If you get an image of a grey eye with the file type, then you have done something wrong or this tutorial is totally off 

Anyway, happy going to everyone. Questions or comments, please reply to this.

Moderators, if you wanna put this in the FAQ section or modify it, feel free to, just please give me credit 

Good luck all.

Thanks pierro for the update
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline stipko

• View Profile
Re: netpbm setup - QUICK TUTORIAL (by vanillageek)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:11:02 AM »
Hi,

I installed NETPBM as instructed and it installed like a charm. The thumb generated, however, is not a valiid image. It's named correctly and has the correct file extension, however it's okb. Nothing is in the file whatsoever. Permissions are all correct, but it simply wont create the file correctly.

Ideas?

Offline stipko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 11:02:08 AM »
can anyone help me on this one?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »
perhaps u should try search google for the correct package for the system on your server.
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline stipko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:54:21 PM »
Hi,

I did. I uploaded the correct version as well, but still no luck. As much as I enjoy a good troubleshoot venture, I gave up when I discovered "GD" on the server.

Thanks for the response though. Take care,

Aaron

(Thread closed, unless otherwise needed)

Offline smacky_wolf

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 05:39:04 PM »
I am ahving a major problem with NetPBM as well. I uploaded 4images, the whole thing worked perfectly first time, all except thumbnails.  4Images was the "third time lucky" alternative (I tired Gallery and Coppermine, both without success)

So, as to the common questions,

- Safe mode is OFF
- ImageMagick won't work either
- GD is not installed on my server ( i have no shell access)
-The path is correct
-my Version printout from phphInfo() is Linux wp013 2.6.10-as3-he-as3.xeon.64gb.1 #1 SMP Wed Feb 16 11:52:17 CET 2005 i686
- I have Apache 2 installed
- URL for my info is www.uhlenhof.com/info.php
- my error is " Failure in creating Thumbnail" and nothing else.
- Also, as far as I can tell, my version for NetPBM is correct.

Also, this thread should really be sticked because of how damn HARD it is to find info on these problems.

Smacky_Wolf

Offline smacky_wolf

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2005, 02:18:57 PM »
*BUMP*

You guys say that we have to use the *Search* for the forum, but

IT DOESN'T WORK! It's about as funtional as a blind, deaf, leg-less dog. There is no possible way to find the information required to make this stupid program work properly.

The admins do not help at all, either. All they do is say "Oh, you haven't done a search" or "Oh, you need to read the FAQ" What about when the search doesn't work, and the FAQ for what you are trying to do doesn't exist? 

To think that this is accepted as a support forum is hilarious, at the very least. The mods apparanty don't bother checking threads. I know what is like to be a mod, I am one on a fairly busy forum. I manage to read pretty much every reply that people put into my area.

IT'S NOT HARD! But getting an answer sure is. I have not only read the english side of this site, but the german as well and that doesn't help me either.

PLEASE, do something, otherwise you will turn everyone off from wanting to use this software.

Smacky_Wolf

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2005, 03:35:59 PM »
And how about: THIS IS 4IMAGES SUPPORT FORUM AND NOT NETPBM. CONFIGURING YOUR SERVER OR INSTALLING ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE ON YOUR SERVER HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH 4IMAGES. YES, 4IMAGES USES SOME SPECIFIC PACKAGES FROM THE SERVER, BUT IT DOES NOT SUPPORT THEM.

If u dont like it, please feel free to find an alternative to 4images. Who want to deal with people with an attitude like yours?

Offline smacky_wolf

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »
Possibly it would be a better idea to PRESS CAPSLOCK AGAIN:. It makes you look like a moron. Also, the failure to add those to little letters to the word "you" gives people the impression that you are retarded. Which I am sure you are not. Also, whatt would a support forum be without supporting the extras that makes this program work to its full potentital? Useless, as it is now.

If you can't be decent and move your finger a couple of centimetres to the capslock, then I am surprised this product has ANY support at all.

Smacky_Wolf

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2005, 08:35:06 PM »
Also, whatt would a support forum be without supporting the extras that makes this program work to its full potentital? Useless, as it is now.
Oh, gee..maybe we should also give support on hardware of the server and OS, etc? without those things 4images is deffenetly useless product.

So, I repeat again: nobody is forcing you using 4images, please feel free find an alternative.

P.S. I dont use Caps Lock key, ok?

Offline smacky_wolf

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 04:09:23 PM »
Also, whatt would a support forum be without supporting the extras that makes this program work to its full potentital? Useless, as it is now.
Oh, gee..maybe we should also give support on hardware of the server and OS, etc? without those things 4images is deffenetly useless product.

So, I repeat again: nobody is forcing you using 4images, please feel free find an alternative.

P.S. I dont use Caps Lock key, ok?

I never opnce said 4images is a useless product. It IS a good product. All I said was that these support forums are useless. And they are. The problem I have is incredibly common, as there are huge amounts of unanswered threads with the same problem around. Problem is, I <b>WANT</b> to use 4images, because it is a good product. But I can't because of the horrible support, or lack thereof.

P.S: I do understand that using shift requires A LOT more thought. >_>

Offline vanillageek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 04:17:32 AM »
*stretches and yawns*
*blinks*

I actually found the forum pretty useful when I was using 4images.  I actually wrote this tutorial and I would love to help you, but it has been a very, very long time since I have used it.  Make sure all the correct folders are chmodded correctly.  That can cause trouble.  If that doesn't work then I am at a loss.  I followed these myself on multiple installs and I had no problems.  I will not fall back to the "your server is the problem" answer, but that is always a problem.  Check the permissions on the folders though.

Offline Chuzpe

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2005, 06:15:24 PM »
Hi, everybody.. everything was running quite smooth while installing netpbm, up to the point where i tried to upload a picture! :/

The autothumbnailer principally works, i assume, so netpbm is installed properly.

Yet, i think its not the sever since one of my old 4images installtions supported AutoThumbnailing without any problems, yet, i recieve the following error msg:

Warning: system() has been disabled for security reasons in /usr/export/www/[xxx]/4images/includes/image_utils.php on line 121

I already set up the attribs for the dir above, but still it won't work. Anybody an idea?