Author Topic: My gallery loads very slow  (Read 12036 times)

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
My gallery loads very slow
« on: May 17, 2003, 02:43:51 AM »
I'm not sure what happened,  but now my site (just the gallery pat) loads very slow. The gallery is at www.ferretpics.com/photo and the forums are at www.ferretpics.com/forums so you can see the speed difference. It takes forever! Please help. And for the notes. I have already tried disabling the random image things, it didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 04:10:39 AM »
I feel for you.

Does your forum use the same database as 4images?  

Have you tried using the same database and database user as the forums?

Have you edited any of the PHP files?

Has it always been a problem or did it at one time load just fine?

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 04:51:13 AM »
Different databases.

havent tried using the same one.. how would that work?

i think it might have started when i added the annotation mod.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 06:02:37 AM »
Since all tables used by 4images are named with the table prefix defined in config.php, there would be no problem with using the same database.  But that doesn't sound like it's the source of your problem.

Reinstall the original php files.  If the site then loads ok, you probably made a mistake in the annotation mod.  Screwing up even one character in php (or any other programming language) can cause all kinds of nasty and unpredictable problems.

If you reinstall the mod and the problem resurfaces, try looking into the configuration of whatever graphics package you're trying to use and maybe even try a different one.

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 07:17:22 AM »
Ok, I was trying to figure out the problem with all this. I have taken the mod out of the pages completely. I am now trying to remove the added tables from the database. I wanted to see what was added to the database so I made another database and tried to import the ia.sql file into it. I got the following error.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Error

SQL-query :  

annotation_use * 0annotation_font * arial.ttfannotation_font_size * 10annotation_use_shadow * 1annotation_shadow_offset * 1annotation_image_quality * 80annotation_text * My Fantastic Gallery at http * * / www.mydomain.comannotation_fill_color * annotation_shadow_color * annotation_fill_alpha * 0.7annotation_shadow_alpha * 0.6annotation_v_alignment * topannotation_h_alignment * LEFT annotation_top_offset * 5annotation_bottom_offset * 5annotation_left_offset * 5annotation_right_offset * 5

MySQL said:

You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'annotation_use * 0annotation_font * arial.ttfannotation_font_si

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does this mean? I even downloaded a new zip of the mod to make sure I had a good sql file.

Thanks

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 10:21:19 AM »
I just went back to start working on the problem again and it's gone. It loads quickly again. Should I try and add that annotation script again? Or another one? Another question I have is.... do all sites that have lots of pictures have to dissable the random images?

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2003, 07:11:14 PM »
Quote from: BobFerret
I just went back to start working on the problem again and it's gone. It loads quickly again. Should I try and add that annotation script again? Or another one?

I think you're the only one who had that problem with the annotation mod so it's specific to something you did or your web server's setup.  I don't know of any other annotation mod.
Quote from: BobFerret
Another question I have is.... do all sites that have lots of pictures have to dissable the random images?

Not really.  It depends on how fast and capable your server is.  My site has 1500 photos and I don't have a problem.

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 04:05:35 AM »
I will try setting it up again. I saw another mod that actually puts the "watermark" on the image. Is one way better than the other? I kinda want the images to keep the mark after they are downloaded. Does the annotation script do this?

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 04:16:05 AM »
This happened for a site I helped designed. It started when they added some external links. As soon as those external links were removed, things went back to normal.

Do you have some external files that your gallery points to?

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2003, 12:35:25 PM »
Actually now that you mention it, that is probably what it was. I use cgispy for my banner rotation (any suggestions for banner systems?) and it was not working while the page was taking a long time to load. When the page was faster, the cgispy banners were there again. So that could have been the problem.

Does the annotation mod put something on the image file?

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 05:46:50 AM »
:?  I'm confused.  It seems to me the documentation at the top of the first post for that mod answer your very questions.

Offline BobFerret

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 06:07:11 AM »
I'm not sure what your talking about  :?

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2003, 07:58:37 PM »
Have you actually read the description for the annotation mod?

http://www.4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3808

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2003, 10:56:45 PM »
Chris,

if I'm not mistaking, BobFerret's main problem was that his gallery was loading slow.

He thought it had something to do with the annotation mod. But, now, we may be arriving at the conclusion that it wasn't the annotation mod that caused the problem, rather it was the external links that he had added to the gallery that may be to blame for the slow performance of the gallery.

Am I right BobFerret?

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2003, 11:04:47 PM »
Right.  But two posts ago, he asked this question:
Does the annotation mod put something on the image file?