Author Topic: Category Limit!?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline slave4brit

• View Profile
Category Limit!?
« on: November 18, 2002, 10:25:29 PM »
Hey Everyone, can someone help me please!?

Very basically, I go into my Control Panel as usual, and I click on "Edit Categories" - It only ever processes it (where you see the bar, as a sign of how far it's loaded) but that's it.. The rest of the control panel works perfectly, and quickly!
I currently have 324 (or so) categories.. Is that too many? Can I only have a certain amount?
If not, could anyone point me as to why it's doing this? Perhaps there is an edit thing, to allow however many cats?

Thanx guys,

Marc

Offline mblond

• View Profile
Category Limit!?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 04:31:14 PM »
Currently I have around 700 categories and no problems.
I believe I also saw a post, somewhere ... not sure where, with over 1000 categories.

As far as any variables that limit the creation of categories, I have not come across any.  But I have just started customizing 4images --

BTW:  I dont know how you have been creating categories but if you use the "batch upload", a modification under "Mods" you can create mass directories then upload them with or without images contained.

If I remember correctly, browsers have a page size limit -- so perhaps if you are using an older browser this could be an issue.

Does your system hang at any other point, say while checking for large numbers of images ?

Will try to help if I can, providing additional info about your system and or configuration might help.

regards,
mblond

Offline slave4brit

• View Profile
Thanx For The Reply :)
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2002, 01:15:03 AM »
Quote from: mblond
Currently I have around 700 categories and no problems.
I believe I also saw a post, somewhere ... not sure where, with over 1000 categories.

As far as any variables that limit the creation of categories, I have not come across any.  But I have just started customizing 4images --

BTW:  I dont know how you have been creating categories but if you use the "batch upload", a modification under "Mods" you can create mass directories then upload them with or without images contained.

If I remember correctly, browsers have a page size limit -- so perhaps if you are using an older browser this could be an issue.

Does your system hang at any other point, say while checking for large numbers of images ?

Will try to help if I can, providing additional info about your system and or configuration might help.

regards,
mblond

Hey MBlond

Thank you for replying!

Well, basically, I am running this script from my home computer, because I currently don't have a site that can take PHP files...

I am currently on Internet Explorer 6... So I don't think that's the prob :P

If you need anymore info, I will be happy to give it to you!

If you want to e-mail me rather, then post again, and I'll mail you!

Thanx again

And reply soon

Cheers =)

Marc

Offline mblond

• View Profile
Re: Thanx For The Reply :)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2002, 08:27:23 PM »
Quote from: slave4brit

Hey MBlond

Thank you for replying!
Well, basically, I am running this script from my home computer, because I currently don't have a site that can take PHP files...
I am currently on Internet Explorer 6... So I don't think that's the prob :P
If you need anymore info, I will be happy to give it to you!
If you want to e-mail me rather, then post again, and I'll mail you!

Thanx again

And reply soon

Cheers =)

Marc

No problem.

Ok so you are running it on your own system:
Some questions:
First I should probably ask.....

What have you already tried ?

Then .....
Please clarify: Can you "Add categories" ?

When you are viewing the photo album does it hang when you are browsing through categories?

Was Edit categories ever working ?

At what point did you notice it stopped working?

Were there any modifications or changes you made between the time it was working and when it began to hang ?

Are there any other portions of the 4images that are not working correctly?

Currently I am running Apache on a Linux box and have had no problems.
What webserver are you running and on what platform -- windows XX ?

mblond

Offline slave4brit

• View Profile
OK, here are the answers! :)
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2002, 02:37:04 AM »
Hey again!

WoW! Quite a few questions... And here are the answers :)

I have already tried to open up a new server area, and add just a few categories, and then the "Edit Cats" does work... Also tried refreshing the script, trying to get another... Nothing has worked...

I can add Categories :) I am able to add quite a few in fact, but I don't, because I can't edit them to where they must go...

It never ever hangs or stops when I'm viewing the images no.. It goes very fast in fact, and loads quickly :)

Edit Categories was working once upon a time... It's actually just after I found I had a virus on my computer (gone now) that I realised it never worked (hadn't been online in ages to add/edit any cats tho) So it culd be virus-related...

Modifications or changes? None that I can think of no... Just uploaded a few more pics (about 344 or so)

It appears to be only the "Edit Categories" section... None of the others are giving troubles..

I am running on Windows XP, on my own server... You may say the Windows XP is unstable or something, but why did it ever work then? :)

Thanx for all the questions!

Please reply soon =)

Laterz,

Marc

Offline mblond

• View Profile
Re: OK, here are the answers! :)
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 10:23:48 PM »
Sorry it took so long to reply, ... had to go out of town,

Hey again!

WoW! Quite a few questions... And here are the answers :)

I have already tried to open up a new server area, and add just a few categories, and then the "Edit Cats" does work... Also tried refreshing the script, trying to get another... Nothing has worked...

Try to duplicate the error on the new server, you've probably already done this. (if not try adding several hundred directories and see if it locks up the same way)

If it still locks up it probably isn't a problem with the script. (might be a problem with XP)

If it doesn't lock up I would consider doing the following:
1) replace the categories.php with a clean version
2) if (1) doesn't work I would consider a clean re-install.
3) I would also download the batch upload module it makes life easier when creating a lot of directories or uploading hundreds of images.

I can add Categories :) I am able to add quite a few in fact, but I don't, because I can't edit them to where they must go...

This would mean that if there is a problem with categories.php it is probably only the section that relates to editing or appending the database.

Edit Categories was working once upon a time... It's actually just after I found I had a virus on my computer (gone now) that I realised it never worked (hadn't been online in ages to add/edit any cats tho) So it culd be virus-related...

Could be related -- might consider a clean install.

I am running on Windows XP, on my own server... You may say the Windows XP is unstable or something, but why did it ever work then? :)

Sorry not an XP fan, but thats what you have to deal with ... c'est la vie.
So are you running something like cygwin with Apache server  or what?
Or are you running the Microsoft server?
Have you had any issues with connectivity to mysql?

Hopefully we can nail this problem down.
regards,
mblond