Author Topic: UNEXPECTED T-STRING error resolved  (Read 44257 times)

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
UNEXPECTED T-STRING error resolved
« on: June 10, 2003, 12:38:44 AM »
Thought I'd pass on some info about solving an UNEXPECTED T-STRING ERROR message I got on my gallery home page.

The story:

I set up the templates and changed the look of the site, added the categories and then ftd'd the images into the numbered folders. Then I started to 'check new images' and add them. While I began by hitting the 'Go to the gallery home page' each time I added them, after a while I  just added them and moved onto the next category. To my horror I got an 'UNEXPECTED T-STRING ERROR in...template.php(133)...when I next checked the home page. Luckily I still had a previous gallery window open that showed the categories and I could move around the site - but not the home page. Eventually I found that the last pictures I'd added to a category called 'Nice's old port' were giving the T-STRING ERROR as well. So I deleted the category and tried again. Still the same problem. So, I changed the name of the category to 'Nice old port' and everything worked - works - okay. To cut an already long story short, it seems as if an 's was the problem. Hope this helps someone. My advice - don't close an old gallery window until the updated one appears okay. And back up soon and often.

Best, NoBob.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 12:54:03 AM »
Just to check your theory, I created new category with name 'Nice's old port', uploaded new images, went to index.php and....nothing happend, no error messages. Not sure why u got that error.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
Tested it again
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 01:05:02 AM »
I just changed the category name back to 'Nice's old port' and got 'Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/rtwtravel.com/httpdocs/gallery/includes/template.php(133) : eval()'d code on line 190' on the home page. Got rid of the 's again and everything is fine. The results: www.rtwtravel.com/gallery/index.php

Best, NoBob.

Offline omp

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 06:58:33 AM »
The actual cause of this error is having a ' in the name.  The php code does not know how to handle the ' and it tra-la-las it up.  I have this same issue anytime someone uploads a image and puts a ' in the title of the image.  Only mod iv'e installed is the user upload limit/time limit mod.

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
Thanks for that
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 08:05:03 AM »
Hi omp,

Yeah, I thought of going back and trying different variations - with just an apostrophe, just a space and an s, etc - to see if it was really both the ' and the s that were causing the problem, but didn't get time. You've answered that for me. Thanks.

NoBob.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 12:17:08 PM »
did u guys remove htmlspecialchars(...); from the code? if u didnt then this error just shouldt happend, 4images uses this function that convers all quotes into " - into HTML codes.
personaly I've never had this problem, even though I have categorie, images and users with single quotes in the name.
And the only problem I had was when I installed first version of Slide show mod. but that's different story.
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
Nope
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2003, 12:23:15 PM »
Nope, not me - well, don't think so, anyway. Could you tell me where htmlspecialchars(...); is?

Best, NoBob.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Nope
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2003, 12:24:56 PM »
Quote from: NoBob
Nope, not me - well, don't think so, anyway. Could you tell me where htmlspecialchars(...); is?

Best, NoBob.

everywhere ;)

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2003, 12:35:45 PM »
Okay, I give up. I've just looked for htmlspecialchars in three templates (header, home and details) and the index.php file. If it's everywhere, then it's cloaked somehow.

Best, NoBob.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2003, 03:02:40 PM »
It's mostly used in the php files found in the includes directories.  There are many more php files than index.php

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2003, 03:45:13 PM »
I'm certain I haven't deleted that code - not knowingly anyway. I've carefully changed bits of code in header, home, details, searchbox, index, click_incl, just to change the look, but that's it.

Best, NoBob.
words&pictures

Offline JoePCFX

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://joe.pcfx.cc
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2003, 09:46:23 AM »
I just got this error a few minutes ago for the first time. I had a ' in 2 album's descriptions. Got rid of them, and it works now. I've ALWAYS had the ' in there with no problem, so why is it all the sudden messing up?

I've never touched php templates, and the htmlspecialchar is all there.

Offline JoePCFX

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://joe.pcfx.cc
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2003, 01:44:25 AM »
bump

Offline www.girls-on-bikes.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.girls-on-bikes.com/
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2003, 06:05:04 AM »
Just my .02 where it don't belong.

I've noticed some templates (template writers) change up code, including htmlspecialchars(...); (i.e. removing it)

I have a feeling this is where this problem originated.

Offline NoBob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2003, 02:21:26 PM »
I was careful not to put an apostrophe in a category's name, but then this morning I put one in the description, and got the same parse error. Will I never be able to use an apostrophe again? I haven't touched any special characters code. Would really like to find the solution to this problem.

www.girls-on-bikes.com, would you mind explaining what you mean about code writers? Which templates have you noticed getting affected?

Thanks.
Best, NoBob.
words&pictures