Author Topic: Setting write permissions to installation directories and files  (Read 3983 times)

Offline kittyfx

• View Profile
Setting write permissions to installation directories and files
« on: October 24, 2002, 10:36:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm following the instructions on installation.txt. I'm in the process of setting up the permissions. Someone told me that it isn't a good idea to give Write access to Others in general. So I wanted to ask here if giving permissions to others is a MUST or an option.

For example, if I didn't give Write access to others, people visiting the album wouldn't be able to post or upload pictures, is this correct? But I could write without any problems. Right?

Is there another reason why I *should* give Write access to others?

Thanks,

kitty

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Follow given instructions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2002, 01:41:02 AM »
Just follow the instructions in the Installation.txt file to the letter.  The reason for setting permissions to WRITE the way the instructions say is because it is the script running on the server that does the writing when images are uploaded.  The script doesn't run as your user id or any web visitor.  This is why world write permission is required.  It's for the script itself and not any user in particular.  You can control category upload access via the user and group management functions in the admin control panel.

Offline kittyfx

• View Profile
Setting write permissions to installation directories and fi
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2002, 06:23:23 AM »
Thanks, Chris.

Still sounds like it's not that safe. But I'll give it a try anyway. :)

Kitty