Author Topic: Beware of some sites!  (Read 5672 times)

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Beware of some sites!
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:08:21 AM »
I woke up this morning, looked on condition of my server and my lower jaw hit the table - server was loaded on 100% for last 4 hours straight!
in "Whos online" in ACP it showed me 200+ simulation connections and most of the "visitors" where on one sertain page (an image details), from different IPs, different countries, different clients (web browsers) and they were not bots for sure.
Well, ok, I thought probably someone sent out a postcard or a link to that image to their friends, I'm fine with that.
But, after few more hours the load didnt go down...I got suspicious, looked in my server access logs (man I had to go through 500mb of logs!) and found that most of those visitors came from one site:
http://fusker.onedawg.com/ (please dont click unless u are 18 or over!)
and there it is, a few links pointed to my site.
I guess I wouldnt mind if they would cache the pages, but no, they show preview of the images hotlinked to the original site - that was the problem!

So, my sollution was:
1) contact my member who posted the links there (still waiting their responce)
2) prevent any visitors whos referrer site is onedawg.com
3) hopefuly the site has report links, so I reported links to my site as illegal and they removed them in a few minutes.

Here is some code from my .htaccess to send visitors from this site back to the site they came from:
Code: [Select]
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*onedawg\.com.* [NC]
RewriteRule .* %{HTTP_REFERER} [R,L]
Note that your server must have mod_rewrite installed for this to work.

If u, guys, know any other sites that do the same, we should add them to the list as well...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline martrix

• View Profile
    • overlord.cz
Re: Beware of some sites!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »
Huh!
That's scary! If I remember a few users here trying via little tweaks saving server load and bandwidth...
and one f*****g page is enough...
MAяTRIX

Offline RoadDogg

• View Profile
    • Düsipixel
Re: Beware of some sites!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 09:59:21 AM »
thx für warning and .htacces code  :!:
For support requests please don´t forget link to your Gallery/to phpinfo.php
Code: [Select]
<?
phpinfo()