Author Topic: Gallery causing server load problems  (Read 3992 times)

Offline Kane

• View Profile
Gallery causing server load problems
« on: December 15, 2005, 11:49:11 PM »
Im becoming convinced that 4images isn't appropriate for active sites. is there anyone with a 4images gallery installed that gets more than 2,000 unique visiters a day in their gallery?

I have my own dedicated server and the loads are usually pretty high when my gallery gets a lot of hits. I have random category images turned off, and the cache is turned on. Any other suggestions for how to reduce server load with 4images?

Offline comicart

• View Profile
Re: Gallery causing server load problems
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 02:53:52 AM »
*tagging* this thread. I have many users, many images, a dedicated server (with other accounts of my own) and have performance problems too.

Offline jmpmntwo3

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:57:41 PM »
I'm having the same problems with my gallery as well. I have my own dedicated server:

1 GB RAM
2.40 GHz Celeron Processor

Everytime my load goes really high (up to 100.0 sometimes), my host always tells me that it's a mysql/php script causing it to go up. I disabled the account the 4images gallery is on for about a week. I didn't have ANYYY problems that entire week. This leads me to believe that it's a problem with 4images.

Can anyone help me? I love 4images so much and I would hate to have to switch to another system, but if I can't get this corrected, it looks like that's going to have to happen  :(

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:08:48 AM »
1) enable cache feature (v1.7.1 required or you can find cache system for v1.7 mod in mods section)
2) disable random image (in includes/constants.php:
Code: [Select]
// If you have a lot of images in your database,
// the random image function could make your programm slow.
// Try first to set "SHOW_RANDOM_CAT_IMAGE" to 0.
define('SHOW_RANDOM_IMAGE', 1);
define('SHOW_RANDOM_CAT_IMAGE', 0);
3) make your template code as simple as possible, as less code in your templates, as faster 4images compiles it.
4) optimize your database (you can do it with phpmyadmin)
5) you can enable some debugin information in includes/constants.php:
Code: [Select]
// define("PRINT_STATS", 1);
// define("PRINT_QUERIES", 1);
// define('PRINT_CACHE_MESSAGES', 1);
(just remove // from each line
This will display some information in the footer, which might help you determing the problem.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)