Author Topic: Download Zip Files  (Read 8266 times)

Offline pkitty

• View Profile
Download Zip Files
« on: July 17, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »
I upload a zip package and it goes in fine through FTP...I direct link it in my board and when I download it, I get an error telling me it is not a valid archive, but If I do it through ftp I can open it fine....

Can anybody tell me what the problem is?

Offline pkitty

• View Profile
Re: Download Zip Files
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 01:06:34 AM »
Another question I have and days go by without an answer.....I suppose to time to talk to my host about offering this system on their websites.

Offline fpatton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »
I upload a zip package and it goes in fine through FTP...I direct link it in my board and when I download it, I get an error telling me it is not a valid archive, but If I do it through ftp I can open it fine....

Not with that amount of information.  Presumably the file is being corrupted on the http download as you state that  'through FTP I can open it fine...'  Some guesses tho:

Questions:
Does this happen with all files or just this file?  (maybe a strange filename is causing the http protocol to fail, while the ftp protocol succeeds)

Have you tried this with another site?  (you could for example create a geocities.com test site)

my .02

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 12:25:42 AM »
and to all what fpatton said I also would like to test it.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline pkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:29:30 AM »

Not with that amount of information.  Presumably the file is being corrupted on the http download as you state that  'through FTP I can open it fine...'  Some guesses tho:

Questions:
Does this happen with all files or just this file?  (maybe a strange filename is causing the http protocol to fail, while the ftp protocol succeeds)

Have you tried this with another site?  (you could for example create a geocities.com test site)

my .02

Yes, I have my own site and tried them there.  After somebody told me they tried to open them by hitting D/L on the page of my album, I went and downloaded them myself from the album.  When trying to open them, I got the not a valid archive.  I belong to a message board with this person, so I went and pmed the same links....when they got them and downloaded them, they worked fine.

A possibility.....

I do not have these files in my album folder...they are located on another part of my site and I am linking to it.  Do you think because they are not in a numbered folder in the Data section that its the problem?  What I did was uploaded the images, went into edit images, and put the link in for the download. 

I have paint shop pro brushes that I made and there are six packs, none of those work...I also have texture packs with 50 textures in them.  I just tried those, there are four, and they all worked.  *scratches head*

its says the file is 34kb but its downloading in like 1 second.....I would love to give you guys the links, but I have hotlink protection and it wont show up here... I just tried, you get a bandwidth thief error...let me see what I can work up....maybe a page..hold on.

Offline pkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 12:38:22 AM »
K,

here is the page I just created....

http://www.greenleafladysworld.com/brushtext.html

the zip file works here...

do you need to see the code on the page that shows the picture?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 01:02:46 AM »
actualy I dont care about the zip file ;) I wanted to see the page where the problem is ;)

also, phpinfo() would help too ;)
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline pkitty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 02:01:47 AM »
php version 4.3.11

here is the site, I unlocked the icon brushes so you could look at it, since Im not sure what part of script you need to see...

http://greenleafladysworld.com/MirkwoodManor/index.php

also, when I logged into my CP for my server...I saw the error that it looked like the page was calling it twice

like this
Code: [Select]
myhome/home/public_html/www.greenleafladysworld.com/brushzips/Iconpack4.zip//myhome/home/public_html//www.greenleafladysworld.com/brushzips/Iconpack4.zip 

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 02:52:24 AM »
ok, here is what I've discovered:
1) because for some reason your server returns Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT in the header on every page (including when downloading a file), IE automaticaly delete the file from its cache as soon as it was downloaded and therefore you are getting "archive corrupted" (this only affects when u chose to open a file not to save it)

2) some of your files are actualy 404 errors returned by your site:
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 00:42:37 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix) PHP/4.3.11 Resin/2.1.13 mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_ssl/2.8.22 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Connection: close
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html

//home/greenl3/public_html/www.greenleafladysworld.com/brushzips/Iconpack3.zip
(none)

<!--

-->

The only explanation I have for this is that you put a wrong download url for the files. Path on unix systems can not start with double forward slash, unless its a path to a remote computer (or is it only on windows systems? :?)

Offline sargnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 01:54:13 AM »
This is a problem i am having as well is there a way to fix it ???

i get this on all files if you choose to open the file only choose save and it seems to be fine any help would be great as the files i have on site are auto install