Author Topic: Props to 4homepages.de + Question about Thumbnails  (Read 9818 times)

Offline Ruben

• View Profile
Props to 4homepages.de + Question about Thumbnails
« on: May 26, 2002, 02:46:06 AM »
Hey you guys, this is Ruben Garay from World of Britney.com, just wanted to give you props for this amazing software that I just discovered. I've been trying to look for something like this for ages, and now I finally found it. Rest assured I will be using the software and will put our 12000 Britney Spears picture collection on it.

I have a question though, I am well, you could say that I am basically migrating my old Image Archive into yours, because I used to have Image Arcadia.....now, all the thumbnails at Image Arcadia required to have a prefix, I chose the prefix to be "thumb_" but it seems as if with your software they must have the exact same file name as original image with the difference that they are in different folders.

So my question is, is there a way to modify so that thumbnails are accepted with the "thumb_" prefix? Otherwise I will have to rename over 10000 pictures and I really don't want to do that...........

Hope you can reply soon ! Thanks a lot ! ;)
-Ruben
World of Britney.com

Offline Elke

• View Profile
    • http://schwarzwald.ag
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 09:20:50 AM »
You have two opportunitys - if you upload the pictures the programm rename the thumb by itsself, because both are in different folders there is not any problem.
Or you put it in with the full URL then you have not to change anything.

An other posiibility is, that is how I put the most of me pictures in...
create a new category and in the folder of this category you copy with ftp all your media pictures of this category. If you want the thumbnails in the thumb folder. Then you can sort them in the admin area and sort them.

Greetings Elke

Offline Ruben

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 08:55:00 AM »
Quote from: Elke
You have two opportunitys - if you upload the pictures the programm rename the thumb by itsself, because both are in different folders there is not any problem.
Or you put it in with the full URL then you have not to change anything.

An other posiibility is, that is how I put the most of me pictures in...
create a new category and in the folder of this category you copy with ftp all your media pictures of this category. If you want the thumbnails in the thumb folder. Then you can sort them in the admin area and sort them.

Greetings Elke

Ok, I don't mean to be rude, but I did not understand anything of what you said.

Once again, I have 10000 thumbnails with the thumb_ prefix. The gallery requires the thumbnails to have the same name as the original pictures. My question is if there is anything I can modify in the script so that pictures that are put inside /data/thumbnails/ folders can be recognized as thumbnails with the thumb_ prefix. Thank you.

-Ruben
-Ruben
World of Britney.com

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 09:25:33 AM »
Hi,

editing the script to accept the thumb prefix would be very difficult. You better try this little script i wrote for you.
Download: rename_thumb.zip

Put this in a directory on your server and point your browser to the file. It will remove the thumb prefix you can specify at the top of the script (default is "thumb_") from all files inside the directory (this don't include subdirectories).

Greets Jan
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search

Offline Ruben

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2002, 09:29:43 AM »
Ok great........now, I have about 300 pics in the database already without the thumb_ prefix, will running this little script mess those pictures up, or is everything this script does is just to enable the software to recognize thumbs with the thumb_ prefix?

Dude you guys rock, I am completely loving this software, I might not have a commercial site but I'm surely gonna purchase a license for it in the future just to support your project !
-Ruben
World of Britney.com

Offline Jan

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 09:36:00 AM »
This script only goes through the directory checking each file name if it contains the thumb prefix at the beginning. If yes, the thumb prefix will be removed from the file name. For example "thumb_Flower.jpg" will be renamed to "Flower.jpg".

Greets Jan
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search

Offline Ruben

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2002, 10:02:32 AM »
Quote from: Jan Sorgalla
This script only goes through the directory checking each file name if it contains the thumb prefix at the beginning. If yes, the thumb prefix will be removed from the file name. For example "thumb_Flower.jpg" will be renamed to "Flower.jpg".

Greets Jan

Kick Ass !! It works ! Thank you so much for your time, greatly appreciated.

-Ruben
-Ruben
World of Britney.com

Offline sjau

• View Profile
    • http://www.wsjb78.com
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2002, 12:39:05 PM »
Just a thought:

4Images does support thumbnail creation. Wouldn't it be easier to upload the HiRes pics to the appropriate folders and then use the internal thumbnail generation facility?

sjau

Offline Ruben

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2002, 12:41:20 PM »
Quote from: sjau
Just a thought:

4Images does support thumbnail creation. Wouldn't it be easier to upload the HiRes pics to the appropriate folders and then use the internal thumbnail generation facility?

sjau

Bleh....no automatic thumbnail generator such as GD or ImageMagick gives true image quality on Thumbnails. I tried it, they make the images look all crunched up and really big in size at that. GD at 100 quality wants 15kb for a thumbnail that looks like crap !

-Ruben
-Ruben
World of Britney.com