Author Topic: +1200gb! -> 2 servers bandwidth balancing?  (Read 6217 times)

Offline babe

• View Profile
+1200gb! -> 2 servers bandwidth balancing?
« on: June 17, 2003, 05:24:49 PM »
My image gallery is an instant success and thousands of visitors are browsing it daily, uploading over 2000 images already up until today. The downside is of course an excessive use of bandwidth as its averaging about 40 gigabyte per day while my server is limited to only (?!) 1200 gigabyte bandwidth monthly. And this number is my site itself excluded!

I don't like to give in on image quality to decrease bandwidth, so I've decided to get me an additional cheap (slow) server just for its 700 gigabyte bandwidth.

What's the best way to balance the bandwidth onto seperate servers? Can I, for example, EASILY move some categories to one server and leave the others on the second (without having to edit all image info manually). Are there other options?

I also see a problem in uploading, as people might upload to a category that has been moved to another server... The new additions have to be moved later on again then.

I've seen a couple of threads about external servers, some of them might be useful but I don't know which ones in my specific case. The gallery script can be on the main server, but a large number of images need to be divided.

All tips are welcome!

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 07:55:24 PM »
Your issue goes way beyond what 4images does and can't be solved by simply splitting up where the media files reside.  

Load balancing is handled at the DNS level.  You might review the help section of www.zoneedit.com for a description of what it is and how it works.

Good luck.

Offline babe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 08:45:20 PM »
I don't want actual 'server balancing' but I'm looking for ways to split one 4images gallery onto 2 different servers in order to balance out bandwidth.

Offline Apollo13

• Addicted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 08:50:42 PM »
well this is very... Well disable random image and so on. Well and than u can uplaod the pics 2 an other server and than link them by url.

btw can i have the link of your page please i want 2 visit it :lol:

Offline rohanrohanrohan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 02:31:17 AM »
guys I suggest u dont give out links to your personal galleries here.

WHY?

because when i placed my gallery link here the next day my whole media directory was deleted which had 300-400 mb worth of content. At that time my whole gallery was down also so i couldnt access it. luckly i had backup of most of the stuff but did lose some stuf

so im not accusing anyone in particular here but my gallery was running pefectly for months and just when i post here this thing, which neverhappend to me, happens i.e ONLY ONE folderg getting deleted.

so just a word of advice

Offline Apollo13

• Addicted member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 07:33:23 AM »
u mean someone hacks u? well but that mustbe somepne from here.