Author Topic: Creating thumbnails  (Read 12466 times)

Offline vapes

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« on: January 05, 2003, 10:47:38 AM »
Ok so I installed it and everything works, except that I cant make thumbnails. I cant even get into auto-make thumbs when I put just c:\imagemagick\    I need to put c:\imagemagick\convert.exe   So with that said if I put that in I can get into the next page and find images that need thumbs. But then I get this error when I try and make them:

Create thumbnail for: picture (picture.jpg) ....  
   Error creating thumbnail!

Any ideas?

Offline jayse

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://jayse.us
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 01:45:45 PM »
my question too!!

Please - SOMEONE - ANSWER THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs!

It's driving me crazy!

TIA

// jayse
- My goal is to live forever...
So far, so good.

// jayse

Offline irishblue

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 04:56:10 PM »
I get that error too. I have checked with my host and put the correct path in the settings /usr/share/ for my ImageMagick. But I get this error:
Create thumbnail for: test (P1010001.jpg) ....  
   Error creating thumbnail!

Offline SLL

• View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 06:47:14 PM »
stop screaming, guys... you'd better read FAQ and search the forum. this "problem" was discussed here at least 20 times already  :evil:

Offline irishblue

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 07:02:58 PM »
I have tried searching for "image magick", many encountered similar errors but alot of threads were unanswered. I can't read german. Most threads just mentioned something about SAFE mode being on or off and installing image magick itself. I was using Gallery previously and image magick works fine with it, so perhaps it is the configuration somewhere in the 4images script? I would appreciate if you could point us to the relevant thread. thank you.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 07:21:36 PM »
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline irishblue

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 02:40:06 AM »
My host is a linux server and they are using PHP 4.3.1. I tried the fix in the thread you posted, but it didn't work. It still gave me the "error creating thumbnail".

Offline irishblue

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 01:14:53 PM »
does it matter that my host is using php4.3.1? how can i fix this?

Offline Ernesto Taseffa

• View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2003, 10:52:20 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:44:57 AM by Ernesto Taseffa »

Offline Ernesto Taseffa

• View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2003, 11:16:38 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:44:41 AM by Ernesto Taseffa »

Offline Ernesto Taseffa

• View Profile
Creating thumbnails
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2003, 11:22:07 AM »
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:44:17 AM by Ernesto Taseffa »

Offline renegadeHayBailAss

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Creating thumbnails
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 06:57:45 PM »
I haven't used NetPBM but I would always rate IM over GD.

Why?

Memory useage and simplicity. GD, as part of PHP, uses PHP's allocated memory (usually 8mb) and if you've ever tried resizing an image with resolution much more than 1024x768 it is very easy to use it all up causing your whole script/page request to die.

IM on the other hand runs from the command line (via a shell_exec() call in PHP) so if you do run out of memory resizing a large image it won't take your php script with it.

If you are building a content management system for your self to use (or someone who knows how to use photoshop) GD is fine as you can shrink your image down to something acceptable and then upload it. However if your system is to be used by the computer illiterate who want to just upload images straight from their 4+ megepixel cammeras then you are going to have problems. Try telling them they can upload images upto 2mb but as long as they are 72dpi and no more than 1024x768pixels and you will quickly find your users can't be bothered and don't use your service, or you suddenly have your pop box jammed up with 10mb attachments from clients wanting you to do it for them. I have used my whole 8mb resizing a 200kb image before because it was 1600x1200px by the way.

IM, once you get the hang of it, is far simpler to use for image resizing, with GD you have to calculate the precise dimensions you want to resize your image to, requiring a few lines of getimagesize() and if(height>width) do this else do that etc etc. Then, once you have your dimensions, to actually resize the image is another 3 or four lines of creating image, filling it with your source image, resizing it, writing it to disk and then killing your temp image etc...

IM is just one line with a max height and width set and IM calculates the rest for you.

It may be that there is a better way to use GD that I don't know about, so it doesn't use huge amounts of memory, I did a couple of days of web research to get my GD script to resize large images and gave up. It then took about 3hrs to research IM and get it working perfectly.

Hope this helps someone,

RHBA