Author Topic: Visible category to all but only members can enter  (Read 3577 times)

Offline timwoe

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Visible category to all but only members can enter
« on: December 23, 2005, 08:46:20 AM »
Hi....I tried searching for my answer, but it's hard to know what words to use to search for. I hope I can explain it well. I'm certain I seen this before, but can't remember where.

I want to have a category visible for everyone to see. When a visitor clicks on it, I would like it to have a popup that says "members only".

I tried to figure out how to set the permissions so that a category is visible but it won't open unless you are a logged in member, but had no luck. If I set the permission so it was  visible for all, you could click it and enter the category. If I made it private, then visitors couldn not  see it.  Maybe I don't understand the permissions.

Once I get the permissions figured out, I guess I need to figure out how to make a message pop up saying "members only".

would someone please tell me how to set the permissions so the cateogory is visible to all, but only those who are members and logged in can click it to go further while those who are visitors can see the category but when they click it they get a popup message saying members only.

thank you for your time.

Offline ch€ri{Bi}˛

• A PRoBLeM wIthOUt SoLuTioN Is NoT rEAllY a PRoBLeM
    • View Profile
    • Pat's Gallery
Re: Visible category to all but only members can enter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 08:58:18 AM »
hi,
1 - to set permissions to a user group  :arrow: please read the FAQ
2 - for your query, why don't you try to search : popup permission  :wink:

Cheers.
ch€ri{Bi}˛

Offline timwoe

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 05:37:14 PM »
I did read the faq on permissions...like I said, I tried everything. I also said, maybe I just don't understand  permissions or what I read. I guess it is too much to ask how to set the permissions so the guest can see the category, but when they click on the category link, they don't get access.

thanks for the heads up on search for popup, which I did and think I found my answer. I read this topic:

Topic: [Mod] Popup message when user clicks thumbnail where they have no permission

Which I think will work, but my problem is how do I set the permissions so user sees the thumbnail -- if I set to private, the user doesn't see it.

The FAQ doesn't answer this or I don't understand it.

Until I get the permissions understood, the popup does me no good. Sorry, i read, tried, but I must not be getting it.

Please tell me how to set the permissions so all can see the category but when guest click it, they will not have access.

thanks
tim

Offline ch€ri{Bi}˛

• A PRoBLeM wIthOUt SoLuTioN Is NoT rEAllY a PRoBLeM
    • View Profile
    • Pat's Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 11:45:48 PM »
The answer is simple:
Edit a category and set needed permissions to "Private"
Then, when you edit user or group's permissions, you should be able set the options
quote from the fAQ... with all the goodwill of the world, I cannot make simpler...

well, when you edit a category, try to set the 2 first rows (in permission part) :
"View category:arrow:  all  ( everybody on your site will be able to see the category)
"View Image"   :arrow: Member Only ( Only registered users on your site will be able to see the pictures in the category)
ch€ri{Bi}˛