Author Topic: Very Popular website, 4images cant handle it?  (Read 4623 times)

Offline kindian

• View Profile
Very Popular website, 4images cant handle it?
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm the owner of a very popular website, it as got as the same time more than 100 users online all day, hunderds of images are submitted everyday. we now have more than 26000 images.

Since the website became popular, problems came and I moved the site to a dedicated server and updated to the latest 4images version.

Now it still seems that even the dedicated server cant handle it. The problem is the mysql I think, connections are still alive when they should be killed when not active.

I'm on the edge of switching 4images for another gallery component like menalto or coopermine.

So my question to the 4images staff is: Can you help me on this?

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
Re: Very Popular website, 4images cant handle it?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:11:37 PM »
Good morning, another one ;)

Had absolutely the same problem, i recommend you reading this thread:
http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=15997.0

You cam PM me if you have further questions

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:14:01 PM »
PS:

Jan, Nicky, you really have to do something about this, you can't ignore it anymore. If there is anything i can help with (yes there is) just PM me ;)

Offline kindian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:32:37 PM »
Well I think that mine is just like yours, if not bigger than that.

I still dont know what was your solution: migrate to another script or totally rewrite 4images?

It's like the way you say, having 20 people at the same time work good, but reaching the hundreds like me totally struggles mysql and all the dedicated server AMD 3600 + 2GB RAM.

It's such a pitty, since I always like the simplicity of work of 4images. I hope the makers of this script can help us out.

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:53:36 PM »
they can't.

I don't knwo if migrate to an other script will solve your problem. My solution was (is) totally rewrite 4images, and it's only finished 25-30% untill now, but i have great results.
For example, when 130 users are online the index.php opens in about 2-3 seconds (26 queries) - before we start the changes it was about 25-60 seconds, sometimes even timeouts.

My programmer says, when the changes are all done i can expect more than 500 users browsing with less than 60% CPU and server load under 3-4. I'am now on a Dual P4 3,2Ghz and 2GB RAM.
Changes will be done in 20-30 days, so then i can post the final results of my (hard) modified version.

Greetings