Author Topic: Auto-thumbnailer stops after so many images.  (Read 3911 times)

Offline zhono

• View Profile
Auto-thumbnailer stops after so many images.
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:04:20 PM »
I've been through a good 100 or so threads of people asking for help with the auto-thumbnailer, but I still can find an answer to this.

When I go to make thumbnails for new images, I choose to check for maybe 1000 images at a time. It'll list all 1000 images that need thumbnails, but when I click the "Create Thumbnails" button, it will stop after 100 or so. I remember a while back, maybe 2 years ago, I had the same problem, but I found a thread where someone posted a fix for the thumbnailer.php file, and I was able to make all 1000 thumbs a one time, and I even remember doing 2000 in one page sometimes. I have an extremely large number of images that I add with the batch uploader plugin, over 200,000, and it just isn't good enough to only do 100 thumbnails at a time. I've already tried things such as increasing the execution time and memory limit in php.ini, and that didn't help. I'm pretty sure that the fix was in thumbnailer.php itself.

Does anyone remember what that fix was, or does anyone know of another fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using 1.7.6

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Auto-thumbnailer stops after so many images.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 07:41:03 PM »
To troubleshoot the problem, in admin/thumbnailer.php find:
if ($action == "createthumbnails") {

Insert above:
error_reporting(E_ALL);

This should show you the error when it stops.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline zhono

• View Profile
Re: Auto-thumbnailer stops after so many images.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »
Hi V@no. Glad to see you're still around. It looked like you went missing for a while there. You provide the best help.  :mrgreen:

I figured out how I did it before. If I remember, no one ever actually got the thumbnailer.php to do all that many images at one time. Instead, I'm using your Rebuild Thumbnails plugin, which seems to do more images in a page, and has the automatic redirect, so all I have to do is set it up, and then just come back later when all my thumbnails are made.  :wink: That's probably how I solved this problem the first time, way back then.

I do have another question. Two, actually. I've searched, but can't seem to find the mod that let's you show a random image for each sub-category on the home page. Any idea where it went?

And second, I've been trying to alter the random category image code for a while, and I can't get it to work. Basically, I just want it to show the first image from the cat/subcat instead of a random one. I have comics in my gallery, so they are ordered by name(Comic-page0-cover.jpg, Comic-page1.jpg, Comic-page2.jpg, etc.). So if it uses the first image every time, it'll always be showing the comics cover page next to the category name.

I've seen your Category Image Mod, but I don't really want to choose my own image for each category, I just want it to always use the first image by name. I was playing around with the bit of php code that I -thought- was responsible for making the random cat images, and all I could get it to do was use the LAST image from each category. Any ideas here?