Author Topic: Download URL linking to files outside webroot  (Read 21472 times)

Offline Ushkand

• View Profile
Download URL linking to files outside webroot
« on: May 19, 2003, 07:44:54 PM »
Ok, finally bought the commercial license as I went commercial last week. :) Here is my predicament: I am serving video files via the script and disabled server play so that members can only download the files. As these files will be available for paid members only, I'd like to protect them by placing them below the webroot.

I am using the downlaod URL field to tell Download.php where the file is. Everything seems to be working ok, till I try to play the video downloaded this way. For some reason the file seems to be corrupted, even though the size and everything else is the same. I am guessing the file header is getting screwed. How do I fix this so that the videos downloaded from below the webroot play fine? I am serving mostly .AVI files.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 08:09:40 PM »
4images does not read each file and return the file contents to the browser.  It is designed to provide valid HTTP links to media source files and then hands these off to your web server to deliver to the visitor.  Placing files outside the web root will not work.

Offline Ushkand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 08:50:40 PM »
can download.php be modified to read the file headers? I desperately need this to work. Thanks for your help.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 10:31:12 PM »
I suppose it could although I don't know how.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 12:25:20 AM »
your host wont be very happy, because the way u want it be done the script must read the files into memory, then through it to the client browser...that would take alot of servers perfomance.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Ushkand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 12:40:42 AM »
I am on a dedicated server so that shouldn't be a problem. Since all the files are going to be .AVI, could I not set download.php to tell browser by default that it is a video files without having to reading each and every file everytime someone downloads a file?

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 12:51:50 AM »
Since you want to place the files outside of your web root, download.php must tell the browser the mime header type AND read and deliver the avi files to the browser. That's going to be a big load on your php processes.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 02:56:18 AM »
Quote from: Chris
That's going to be a big load on your php processes.
exactly!
but here is an example how to read and print a picture stored outside of web root:
Code: [Select]
<?php
$file 
"e:/iguana.jpg";
$file_size filesize($file);
$fp fopen($file"rb");
$data fread ($fp$file_size);
fclose($fp);
header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
echo 
$data;
?>
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:59:54 PM by V@no »
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 03:36:17 AM »
One final comment.  Web servers are highly optimized to serve files off hard disks and this is why their performance will exceed what php can deliver.

Best wishes.

Offline Ushkand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 11:19:52 PM »
That's going to be a big load on your php processes.

Can you guys suggest of a better way to protect the videos? Though the scripts masks the download url, netscape users can easily get the direct url link. I figured placing videos outside webroot would be the most secure way.

Btw v@no, where do I place this code in download.php? and

Code: [Select]
$file = "e:/iguana.jpg"; Could I replace this with the Download URL parameter?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 11:40:39 PM »
Quote from: Ushkand
Btw v@no, where do I place this code in download.php?
sorry, that was just an example how it would work...this method would be maybe usefull for small files, images (I use it at my site), but for video I dont know..

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Download URL linking to files outside webroot
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2003, 12:29:56 AM »
Quote from: Ushkand
... so that members can only download the files. As these files will be available for paid members only, I'd like to protect them by placing them below the webroot.

Why not just change the "View Image" setting to private or registered user?  Your best approach is to restrict access to the download button.  Moving files outside the web root only prevents hotlinking by other sites.  If you password protect the media directories, require HTTP authentication or change the 4images settings as I've suggested, you'll accomplish the same thing.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Download URL linking to files outside webroot
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2003, 12:45:11 AM »
Why not just change the "View Image" setting to private or registered user?  Your best approach is to restrict access to the download button.

well, that's not the point, any registered members could click download button and find out the path for the file and they wont need use download.php anymore, they can use over and over again, or send to someone. if u use script that would read files (outside root not necesery) and then send it to the browser, u wont be able get the files without starting the script, but this is big perfomance drawback...

If you password protect the media directories, require HTTP authentication
I might did something wrong, but I've tryed do it this way, and it asked me for user/pass when I open details.php
they .htaccess for antileech will kill ability play video/audio files on the page...

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2003, 05:56:55 AM »
Well perhaps this will illustrate my suggestion better.

1. Create a new user group called "PaidMembers"
2. Set the "Download" permission for each category to "Private"
3. Now edit the "Permissions" for the user group "PaidMembers" and set the download for each category to "Yes"

When a registered user remits payment, place that user in the "PaidMembers" user group.

This should work, shouldn't it?

Offline Ushkand

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2003, 05:24:26 PM »
Well perhaps this will illustrate my suggestion better.

1. Create a new user group called "PaidMembers"
2. Set the "Download" permission for each category to "Private"
3. Now edit the "Permissions" for the user group "PaidMembers" and set the download for each category to "Yes"

When a registered user remits payment, place that user in the "PaidMembers" user group.

This should work, shouldn't it?

Chris this is exactly what I am doing right now. Like v@no says, any paid member can easily get the download link (direct url to the videos) and share it with others. These other visitors can just type in the direct url of the video and download them.

they .htaccess for antileech will kill ability play video/audio files on the page...

I am not using any server play. Is there any way I can set the .htaccess to let videos be download only through download.php and not with a direct url link?