Author Topic: Is there a Help file somewhere?  (Read 7381 times)

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
    • http://www.mycaribbean.info
Is there a Help file somewhere?
« on: April 04, 2003, 07:28:32 PM »
If there is an english-language Help file somewhere, I'd appreciate kowing about it.

If not, ich kann ein bischen Duetsch lesen. Ich werde, mit jemand, arbeiten zusammen eine Hilfe auf englisch zu schreiben.

Jemand?  bitte?
Thank you,
CaribeJoe

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 07:30:19 PM »
there is better "file" exist  -  this forum :wink:
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
Help file is neded for both users and owners
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 08:15:03 PM »
Respectfully, this forum is not a helpful source for my users.  They simply want to know how to ue the gallery web site.

As for the needs of a gallery owner, even after trudging my way through this forum, I still have many questions that a guide organized by topics would satisfy much better and much faster.  

A forum is a good medium for ansking questions one a time amd waiting for an a=nswer that may or may not be what is appropriate. But it is not an alternative to or substitute for a guide organized by topics that starts at the foundation of how the program works, what its features are and then goes through them in a coherent manner so the whole can be grasped.

I am a professional writer. If someone who knows 4HomePages very well is willing to work with me in organizing the topics and providing the information, I will be happy to write both a site member Help file and a site owner guide. We then could donate them to this project.

Anyone?
Thank you,
CaribeJoe

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 08:48:04 PM »
ok, lets try do that together ;)
how about u are asking specific question and me or somebody else give an answer?
I think it's not a bad idea :D
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Re: Help file is neded for both users and owners
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 09:23:47 PM »
Quote from: CaribeJoe
I am a professional writer. If someone who knows 4HomePages very well is willing to work with me in organizing the topics and providing the information, I will be happy to write both a site member Help file and a site owner guide. We then could donate them to this project.

Anyone?

Excellent idea.  

Perhaps the best way to get started would be to write up what you already know then post it in one of the forums for people to add their knowledge.  Then revise the document and repeat the process.

I think this approach would be the easiest way to solicite the most input.  I doubt any one individual has both total knowledge of 4images and time available to dedicate themselves to it 100%.

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
let's start with his
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 06:01:52 PM »
Let's begin at the beginning. The file "installation.txt" (one of many BTW - which is another issue that should be corrected), is a mess.

The conflation of German and English on one totally disorganized page must be undone. It's difficult enough to read due to the issues covered below but mixing two languages together adds another level of un-necessary illegibility.

And then the instructions must be organized so they make sense and can be followed and referenced in some framework of reference. You cannot have 5 or 6 paragraphs each label "1."

It would be a good start if someone who know what goes where would redo outline into the usual heierarchical structure such as

I category

1 topic
1.1 subtopic
1.1.1 sub-subtopic
1.2 subtopic

2 topic
2.1 subtopic
2.1.1 sub-subtopic

II Category  etc.

*NOTE The apparently neat and well presented file shown below is not what one sees when opened as the .txt file that the original is.  It is a mess as a .txt file.  Thw original .txt file displays all its unexpressed syntax which only further confuses the eye. The file should either not be a .txt file or the code should be removed. Can't have it both ways.

START PASTE OF FILE

Installation:

1.  Decompress the .zip archive to a local directory on your system and FTP all the files it contains (being sure to retain the directory structure) to your host. Once all the files have been uploaded to your site you should point your browser at this location.  

2.  Now, the Install-Screen comes up. Fill out the required fields and press "Start Installation".  

3. The installation script will create and populate all the necessary tables in your database and some basics settings.

4.  The Install-Script will then attempt to write to the config.php file which will contain the basic configuration data . If the installer cannot write config.php directly you will be given the option of downloading the file. You should then re-upload the file to your server, overwriting the existing config.php in the process.

5. Set permissions for the following directories:

chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data/database
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data/media
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data/thumbnails
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data/tmp_media
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : data/tmp_thumbnails
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : templates
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : templates/default
     chmod 777 (drwxrwxrwx) : templates/default/media

Set permissions for the following files:

chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) : all files in the directory "templates/default"
     chmod 666 (-rw-rw-rw-) : all files in the directory "templates/default/media"

You can do this with FTP programs such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP.

7.  At this point your basic installation is complete. Please be sure to check the General Configuration details and make any required changes in your Control Panel.

----------------------------------------------------------
 Update from earlier versions:
  ----------------------------------------------------------

1.  First you should rename or copy your existing "config.php" to a temporary location  

3.  Decompress the .zip archive and upload all files to the same location as your previous installation. Overwrite the existing files.

4.  Next delete the newly uploaded copy of config.php and replace it with your existing copy (ie. rename or move back the copy you saved previously).

5. You should now run the following update-scripts (in this order, one at a time) and follow the instructions.

Update RC-1 -> 1.7

1. update_RC-1_to_RC-2.php

2. update_1.0_to_1.5.php

3. update_1.5_to_1.6.php

4. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.ph

Update RC-2 -> 1.7

1. update_1.0_to_1.5.php

2. update_1.5_to_1.6.php

3. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.ph

Update 1.0 -> 1.7

1. update_1.0_to_1.5.php

2. update_1.5_to_1.6.php

3. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.ph

Update 1.5 -> 1.7

1. update_1.5_to_1.6.php

2. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.ph

Update 1.6 -> 1.7

1. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.php

Update 1.6.1 -> 1.7

1. update_1.6.1_to_1.7.php

7. You must ensure you remove "install.php" and any "update_*_to_*.php" files. Additionally you may delete all files in "data/database/default" and the "docs" directory if you wish.
Thank you,
CaribeJoe