Author Topic: Gallery style html pages  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
Gallery style html pages
« on: October 08, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »
I would like to ask if someone can give me some directions and/or tips how to achieve the following:
I have categories with magazine scans. Sometimes I also have the text, this is currently displayed on a htm page together with the images/thumbnails. If I want to give users a link to the text from the category in question and I want the text html be the same style as the gallery - how do I have to do it?
I know - and have done - that you can make custom html (did this for the help page) but I don't quite get where and how to place a link to the text page and where to put the html so it can use the default template.
Maybe this is not possible at all or I am thinking the wrong way.

To give an example:
I have the scan of the interview XYZ-2003 and I have the txt of this article.
I can put the scans in a category
magazine scans
-- XYZ
When a user now opens the category magazine scans>2003>XYZ he should not only be able to see the scan images but also find a link to the html page with the text.

I probably make it more complicated than it is so I need directions. :)

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
Re: Gallery style html pages
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 12:06:47 AM »
No ideas?

manurom

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 08:39:46 AM »
Hello,
I'm not sure having all understood.
Following your explanation, you should better associate your HTML text files with your images, using the tag {image_id}.
As every image has a unique id, name the txt file with a name ending with the image's ID (for instance, your scan has ID number 63, name your txt file "text_img63.html"); you should then add this code to your "templates/your template/thumbnail_bit.html":
[qcode]<a href="index.php?template=text_img{image_id}"><strong>The text</strong></a>[/qcode]
to display a link to the description of the scan.
You can use instead the tag {image_name}, but it seems that two or more image may have the same name. Using ID is more secure.

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 02:01:49 PM »
Ah.
Ok but that means people visiting the html page can go to the gallery or see the images that are stored there. How about those who find the magazine images in the gallery and should be able to read the text?
I think I must do a txt file and add it to the category or set a link in the category description.
However - if I want it to work like e.g. the help I am confused about how to set the links withing the html file then.

E.g. I have cat#512 which contains the images for an lets say XPose article. I also have a text for that article.
I can take the help.html from mytemplate (it already has all the needed urls for the layotu), instead of the text for help I enter the XPose text (the magazine text) and then? I will have not one but many html files with the texts (e.g. for Xpose2004, Xpose 2005, FHM, Maxim etc.). I can put the Xpose.htrml in media>512 but all links that call {template_url} will not work (of course). How can I adapt them to go from data>media>512 to templates>mytemplate ? I don't want to change it to an absolute url because when I ever change the template all these files need manual changes.
It would probably better to keep all these html files in their own directory but where? in templates>mytemplate>magazines?
And how to call the html file then?
For hlep the link goes like http://www.mysites.com/gallery/index.php?template=help ..

Sorry, but this is really confusing me.I probably give up and make txt files which I can simply link to. :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 02:29:11 PM by Gwydion »

manurom

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 02:22:32 PM »
Hello;
sorry, but I have difficulty to understand.
Why not make your "details.html" customized?
In the top, the image of the scan.
Below, you can insert an IFRAME, keeping on that you have made a text file with name "text_imgXX.html", stored in templates/your template/, where XX is image_id..
The code should be:
[qcode]
<IFRAME SRC="{template_url}/text_img{image_id}.html" HEIGHT="350" WIDTH="450">
Sorry, your web browser does not support IFRAMES.
</IFRAME>[/qcode]

Then the scan would be displayed with the attached text.

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 09:30:47 PM »
If I do that what happens if:
there is no text (and therefore nothing for the iframe)  - not all magazine scans also have a text file
how shall I add different text files?

Lets say I have scans of Xpose (2 images id 2154, 2155, 2156)and FHM (image_id 2157). Each is in its own category. (category Xpose and category FHM).
Lets now assume I want the text of the XPose article to be displayed or be clickable.
Would I need a file
 "text_imgX2154.html" and that's enough?

How does details.html then know which text_imgXX.html to call? Especially if there are three image_id's in one category.