Author Topic: Do you have a big gallery? Need help with hosting decision  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
Do you have a big gallery? Need help with hosting decision
« on: August 10, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
My gallery (1.7.2.) has grown pretty big, using storage and bandwidth - which I pay for on a shared server.
Now my host told me that my account is using "46 % server capacity" (not giving details when and what exactly, but it's not bandwidth usage) and that I have to move to a dedicated server. They also told me my site has got 9 million (!) hits last month and already 3 millions this month. I know my gallery is getting popular but these figures seem very hard to believe to me .. after all bandwidth would have gone straight through the roof with that figure, wouldn't it?
For me this is rather an attempt to get rid of a customer that actually uses the storage and bandwidth he pays for.
What is the experience of people here who have big galleries?

Anyway, since I can not force them to keep me and since I am getting tired of this issue (was already an issue with my old host too) I am considering dedicated servers.
So, if you have a big/popular gallery can you recommend a host? I have pretty much no knowledge of dedicated servers and don't know which "hidden" features or traps I should look for. The stuff that is not first place in the plans ..