Author Topic: Windows installation documentation  (Read 13562 times)

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Windows installation documentation
« on: February 08, 2010, 09:58:07 PM »
OK, im really interested in using this software BUT, where the hell is the clear documentation. I just want to go to a page that has installation details for installing on windows environment with iis/mysql php installed.
Im actually hosting my own domain on my own server, in case this affects installation details but should not i guess.
Does this documentation exist, if so, where?, if not, why?!!!!

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Windows installation documentation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:26:54 AM »
... where the hell ...  :twisted:
... here is a clear documentation (system requirements / installation) : in your 4images download package ... docs/Installation.english.txt ...
... short and precise, everything you need to install 4images ...
... no one has needed more ...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:10:06 PM »
well other than the fact it is written for the Unix environment, hardly answers my question really does it.
So, to make myself perfectly clear. Are there any particular installation steps different for a windows & iiS environment?
as for getting upset over the 'where the hell'...1) get a life 2) if the site had a clear documentation link, i would not need to be wasting my time with the questions on a forum now would i. assuming that someone is going to download a product first to get documentation is quite ridiculous.
other products have far better sites, well documented, but either less features or less flexible by my brief review so on balance, 4images looks ok, but needs to improve on documentation. Documentation is key to a products success, not a forum which is generally a series of random notes and lack structure to formulate opinion or be of REAL product benefit.

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:09 PM »
hello gingernob and welcome to the free 4images forum,

thank you for your statement. very nice that you teach us, what is good for the 4images success.

4images is working on Unix and as well on Windows IIS environment.
of course if you have mySQL, PHP, GD/ImageMagick installed on your Windows host.
chmod commands will not work..

so, read steps: 1,2,3,4, 6,7,8 from 4images\docs\Installation.english.txt and everything will work fine for you.

if you need more help, you can always come back to us with your issues.

have a nice day!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:38:21 PM by Nicky »
cheers
Nicky
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! (© by V@no)

nicky.net 4 4images
Signature stolen from mawenzi

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:14:21 AM »
ok, i appreciate you think im being difficult but those are not thorough installation instructions. it assumes u have used mysql before (im a ms sql person and mysql is completely different). on the install.php screen..the database username, is that root? i have not created any other users so assume so!!
what is the administration username..is that my windows administrator user and pwd?
im running on my own windows server so do not have a control panel to front end..so need to know exactly which user id's u r talking about.

Offline Nicky

• Administrator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 10:06:26 AM »
ok, i appreciate you think im being difficult but those are not thorough installation instructions. it assumes u have used mysql before (im a ms sql person and mysql is completely different). on the install.php screen..the database username, is that root? i have not created any other users so assume so!!
what is the administration username..is that my windows administrator user and pwd?
im running on my own windows server so do not have a control panel to front end..so need to know exactly which user id's u r talking about.

dear gingernob,

what your mySQL accounts are, this question can only be answered by you as you are the Administrator of the mySQL Server.

your questions are not 4images related, therefore i will link you to the http://www.mysql.com/ site where you can find the guide how to use mySQL server, how to create database, how to create accounts and here the link for the control panel software for mySQL Server http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

First try to create database with http://www.phpmyadmin.net/
i will guess your mySQL account
user: root
without password

but as already mentioned, i'm just guessing!

good luck!
cheers
Nicky
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! (© by V@no)

nicky.net 4 4images
Signature stolen from mawenzi

Offline GaYan

• ♫ | G2 | ♫
    • View Profile
    • Ziramagic
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »
Gingernob :D

u knw what. ? im a 16 age years old guy and i installed it by myself ;)
do not depend on the documentation always .. 4images has a great documentation which i havent even seen on paid products  ....

if u are running a windows server or anything, installing mySQL Server is a task that u must do,, do not ask that from us :D
Nicky and his team has provided every essential documentation to install this,,,

and installing this is really easy dude .. let me give you 1 advice.. do not post questions unrelated to 4images..

have a nice day !
I'm Back :)

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 02:40:33 PM »
clearly no one is reading the messages as they are very specifically 4images questions and NOT mysql related.

my questions are very simple: From the 4images install script, when it refers to database and administrator user names...2 different usernames, hence my question,
is the administrator question related to the database OR OS related?

As for the 16 yr old who thinks 4images documentation is 'great', clearly he has not been involved in IT long enough to know the difference in quality documentation and near non-existent documentation.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:21:30 AM »
I agree with Nicky's reply. You must know THE BASICS before you'll be able use any PHP/MySQL related scripts. A script's documentation does not need include the basics. You wouldn't ask software developers to explain you how to install and setup the OS that the software intend to run on, right? - there is no differences when it comes to scripts.

However, I do agree with gingernob that installation form could be confusing as it doesn't explain that the username and password under "Admin configuration" section will create administrator account that will be used to manage 4images after installation complete. Basically in these fields you setup the very first member/administrator for your gallery, what you enter there is entirely your choice, make sure you don't forget what you've entered ;)
I shall propose this change for a future version.

Anyhow, for what it worth, welcome to 4images forum, gingernob ;) :D
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 03:19:10 AM »
Dear V@no

thank u 4 ur reply and that does make that part much clearer. I honestly do appreciate ur comments and would not be asking mysql related questions, which i am now comfortable roughly converting from ms sql. what still confuses me is:
i watched some video's for installation on the forum but the guy is talking about using format 'control panel user name'_'database name' eg fred_mypics, BUT i dont have a control panel as i am installing on my own server, hence my continued confusion. i have thought may b it is my local user id + _db name but that did not work, so in my particular scenario, on my own host with no c.panel, what should be entered for these fields. i have tried just on their own without .._ but that did not work either. M queries really r specific to info required specifically by the install.php script.
kind regards
David

Offline GaYan

• ♫ | G2 | ♫
    • View Profile
    • Ziramagic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
clearly no one is reading the messages as they are very specifically 4images questions and NOT mysql related.

my questions are very simple: From the 4images install script, when it refers to database and administrator user names...2 different usernames, hence my question,
is the administrator question related to the database OR OS related?

As for the 16 yr old who thinks 4images documentation is 'great', clearly he has not been involved in IT long enough to know the difference in quality documentation and near non-existent documentation.

:mrgreen: So The Expert Guy  :mrgreen: Welcome to 4images   :wink:
and as i said.. do not depend on the documentation always  :wink:

may be u are a uncle to me  :mrgreen:
I'm Back :)

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Ok, let's see where you at now:

1) did you install MySQL server?
2) were you be able using MySQL server's instructions login to it using command prompt?
3) did you install phpmyadmin script? (I would strongly recommend you install that script, once it's installed and you were able login with it, there is pretty much no-brainer how to create databases, users, etc)
4) if 3) is a "yes", were you able login to your MySQL server from it?
5) if 2) or 4) is a "yes", did you create a new database?
6) if 5) is a "yes", then use the same MySQL username/password during 4images installation, in the mysql host field enter localhost, prefix you can leave default, it required if you are planning install multiple 4images into same database.
The bottom section at 4images install screen is the admin name/password that you can make up whatever you want, that admin name/password will be used at ACP (Admin Control Panel) after successful installation.

And finally, there are tons of tutorials can be found, perhaps they could be more useful then waiting for an answer here ;)
http://shabbir.hassanally.net/blog/2007/10/11/howto-installing-mysql-php-and-phpmyadmin-on-iis-part-1-mysql-server/
http://www.google.com/search?q=tutorial+mysql+phpmadmin+iis
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:32:18 PM by V@no »
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline gingernob

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 02:25:52 PM »
Thanks so much for all info. actually installed 'mysql workbench' but now attempting phpmyadmin..will follow the rest of your advice.
thanks again.
david