Author Topic: WMV-Template created - how can I show JPG thumbnails for each WMV-File  (Read 15854 times)

Offline megalomania

• View Profile
Hi there,

as descibed in the subject, my problem is to get a unique thumbnail for each of the wmv-files that are uploaded.
i tried to manually create them and then named them like the wmf-file, except the file-extension. (i used jpeg instead)

after that didn't work, i found the function set_allowed_filetypes() in the "\includes\upload.php"...
but now iam not quite sure, if it has anything to do with it.

maybee someone out there may help me out?  :?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
it didnt work how? did u check FAQ on how to add new extensions?
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
megalomania is able to upload the WMV file but doesn't want the default, media icon.  Instead they want to upload their own thumbnail along with the WMV file.  This is actually a mod request.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
This is actually a mod request.
My understanding was that they tryed upload a manualy created thumbnail with a .wmv file and it didnt work...
by default 4images does not allow .wmv extensions and adding it in the "allowed list" in the settings is not enough..
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline megalomania

• View Profile
Ola again.

I am able to upload the WMV-files. After uploading them, I want to show thumbs for each video. (I create them manually an copy them into the correspondig thumbnail-folder of the WMV-catergory.)

My problem is, that 4images does not recognize the thumbnails as a preview for a wmv-file. Although they habe the same name...
I thought, that it would work if i add the wmv extension in the "function set_allowed_filetypes()", but that was false ;(

What else could I try to get this feature? :)

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Ok, so u upload thumbnails through ftp AFTER uploaded the media files and added them to the database?
if so, u'll need [MOD] Auto-Thumbnailer

Offline megalomania

• View Profile
That is right, V@no.

I installed the MOD, but now I am quite unsure how it works. For Example:

I upload "xyz.wmv" and add it to the db. Next I copy "xyz.jpg" into the thumbnailfolder.
When I start Auto-Thumbnailer it doesnt show me anything, after checking.

When I rename the thumb into "xyz.wmv" 4images tries to make a thumb out of that.
But it doesn't work of course.

Am I totally stupid or what do I do wrong?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
I installed the MOD, but now I am quite unsure how it works. For Example:
On the initial page of "Auto-thumbnailer" make sure u set to "yes" the "Check for existing thumbnails" option.

if it still cant find the thumbnails, then u do something else wrong...
perhaps try upload the .wmv files and their thumbnails before u run "Check new images"
or if u upload the files via web page (ACP or visitor's upload page), then upload thumbnails together with the .wmv files.

another sollution is upload thumbnails through "Edit image" page.

Offline megalomania

• View Profile
wow,

many options i did not think of. many thanks, v@no.
i'll try it out tomorrow. hopefully i won't reply to this topic, again. ;)

have a nice weekend...

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
I put my question on here cause it's kind of fitting.
I have all the needed file extensions stuff done, have the wmv icon and also the auto-thumbnailer mod.
My problem however is that after I have uploaded the wmv into the directory via FTP it is not recognised and can't be added to the database (using check for new images, maybe that is wrong?). Not recognised as in there is nothing new found.
I had no problem with a mov file though.
I don't think the wmv.html is the problem but to be sure I copied it into the default template dir too. I would be happy with the default wmv icon but it does not show any.
I am using vs. 1. 7.1

So my question is - how can I add videos to the database via the cpanel?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
and did you add wmv extension in the list of allowed upload extension list in the settings?

Offline Gwydion

• View Profile
*slap forehead*
Of course .. that was it. Thanks. :)
We should do a step-by-step checklist for dummies. :)