Author Topic: 1920 pixels - too big to resize ?  (Read 7826 times)

Offline aholmes

• View Profile
1920 pixels - too big to resize ?
« on: May 28, 2005, 09:01:35 AM »
Hello,

The auto-resize image function in the control panel works fine except for images which are 1280 x 960 pixels.
At 1024 pixels or less, the image resizes fine, but images at 1280 pixels make the application pause indefinately during the resize process.
When you go back to the gallery, the thumbnail is there but the image is unavailable after this operation. A look in the media files via ftp shows a .bak extension has been added to the image, but it is still there.

Is there a size limit on images to be resized ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Great application, by the way.

Offline aholmes

• View Profile
Re: 1920 pixels - too big to resize ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:14:39 PM »
I tell you what, if someone just replies and says "don't be stupid", I'll give up hope and have a cold beer.

It's just the silence on this question that is killing me ...!  :-)

Thanks for any help anyone may have.

AH

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:56:59 PM »
I dont know.

does this make u feel better? ;)

Remmember, no replyes doesnt mean everyone is ignoring you, it simply means noone has an answer, that's all.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 03:00:32 AM »
What is the file size in either Kb or Mb for the problem images?  Not the pixel dimensions, the size on disk.

Offline aholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 10:56:24 PM »
Hi - sorry for the late reply. I've been trying a few things out to narrow down the definition of the problem.

The files which refuse to resize are anything above 1024 x 768 pixels.
The 1280 pixels images I mentioned are only about 320kb in size, but will not resize.
Strangely, I have 1024 x 768 pixel size files weighing 336 kb on the disk which have been successfully resized, so I am thinking it has something to do with the pixel size.

I have tried saving the files to local disk, renaming them and re-saving them as .jpg files (I thought maybe they weren't well encoded) but they will not resize using the control panel function. When I reduce the same files to 1024 x 768 pixels then upload them, I can resize them first time with the control panel function.

The error message I get when resizing these images in 4images 1.7.1 is as follows :
Convertir image : DSCF0292.jpg (1280 x 960) ...
.......it never gets any further.

I tried the same procedure in another site running 4images 1.7 , but with the same web hosting service and got a more complete error message :
Convert image file : DSCF0292.jpg (1280 x 960) ...
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhusted (tried to allocate 1280 bytes) in
/home/sites/....../4images/includes/image_utils.php on line 71

But the result was identical : a .bak extension was pinned onto the end of the .jpg file, which remained on the disk but was no longer visible from the browser.

Does this help to identify the problem ?

Thanks again for your time.

AH

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 12:56:46 AM »
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhusted (tried to allocate 1280 bytes) in
/home/sites/....../4images/includes/image_utils.php on line 71
There is nothing u can do about it, besides contact your hoster and ask them to increase memory limit per script in php.ini

good luck.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline aholmes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 10:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I'll see what I can do.

AH