Author Topic: OT - German 'Blue Laws'  (Read 9179 times)

Offline robertmf

• View Profile
    • http://dliflc.org/
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« on: May 28, 2003, 05:24:28 PM »

In the USA, we used to have what are known here as "Blue Laws".  These laws prohibit shops and stores from being open for business on Sundays.

I just had a ePal who returned from Munich.  She was very surprised that none of the stores were open on Sunday (so she could buy souveniers).

Are these 'Blue Laws' in effect all over Germany ?  Why do you still have them ?

I have not been at this forum recently because I have no problems with 4images and the phpBB integration, so everything is running on "cruise control " :-)))
DLI Alumni & Friends at DLIFLC.ORG

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 05:48:44 PM »
--- deleted ---

Offline engineer

• View Profile
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 09:46:49 PM »
In Germany shops are allowed to open Mo-Fr from the early morning (sorry, don't know when...) up to 20.00 and on Sa up to 16.00.
There are some exceptions for e.g. pharmacy shops, traveller support at airports, gas stations, etc.
So it should be possible to get souveniers at airports, train stations and some other places.

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 11:08:08 PM »
You know, this just gave me a great idea. I'll go to Europe and I'll come back without buying anyone anything. Then I'll just say:

"Darn! The shops where closed on Sunday which I was planning to buy souveniers."

:lol:

Offline Fuztug

• View Profile
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 10:36:46 PM »
WTF do you need shop open sunday for? I think that 1 day a week EVERYTHING should be closed, like a relaxin' day1

Cya, Fut

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 11:12:56 PM »
Quote from: Fuztug
WTF do you need shop open sunday for? I think that 1 day a week EVERYTHING should be closed, like a relaxin' day1

Cya, Fut

WTF u are using "WTF" so offten? not nice, not nice :roll:
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline coolmilo

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zikade.com
OT - German 'Blue Laws'
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2003, 03:57:41 PM »
Quote from: Fuztug
WTF do you need shop open sunday for?
Cya, Fut

That doesn't mean you have to work you can be lazy and relax if you want, some people need stuff on Sundays and the ones who wish to be open and work should have the right.

I live in Munich and come from Australia and it took me a LOoong time to get used to the idea. I miss going to buy stuff at 11:30 pm any night of the week, no stress, no cues and I still managed to relax on SUNDAYS.