Author Topic: Hey, Question about templates  (Read 10642 times)

Offline wrestlingwiredotnet

• View Profile
    • http://www.wrestlingwire.net
Hey, Question about templates
« on: January 10, 2003, 05:07:09 AM »
(I DO KNOW THAT I HAVE ALREADY POSTED A TOPIC ABOUT THIS BUT I DIDNT QUITE GIVE A GOOD ENOUGH EXPLANATION AND PPL WERE CONFUSED SO HOPEFULLY THIS EXPLANATION IS SOMEWHAT BETTER AND I CAN GET SOME POSITIVE FEEDBACK)

Hello, I installed 4Images, I think its awesome. ONe thing though, I would like to install a new template... and I have read the directions it came with, it read: "upload the 4greyblue directory to your "templates" subdirectory"

then it read: "copy the 4greybl.php from this zip to your 4images root directory"

and then: "go to your admin panel and set the template to "4greyblue"

and finally: "The 4greybl.php you can adjust to your liking, it's the little menu
on the left. Use it for your links, or whatever you see fit."

I completed all of these steps, and in the dropdown menu I chose it as my theme, but then there is a list of templates with a .html extensions and I am confused, it says this is a template, and I know it is but I had to pick it for theme, which in the directions it said choose it as my template, so what do I choose for the templates? do I have to edit them or something? I am just confused, it anyone can help me, that would be great, thanks so much.

One more quick thing, must you have general knowledge in php to install a template? thanks.

~Nate~
visit WWW.WRESTLINGWIRE.NET if your a wrestling fan!!!

Offline Vraxor

• View Profile
    • http://tc-revolution.net
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 06:34:05 AM »
Hi Wrestlingthingy,

I would like to answer your question, but it is still not clear to me as normally you would not have all the html files to choose from.

There is no php knowledge needed at all.

Did you put all the template files (that are all the html files) into a new directory? Like the default template folder you should also make a folder called {whatever you like}  and then all the html file and folders should be put into that new folder. I really don't know if you already did so, but it sounds to me like that is the problem, so please check if there are no html files in the ROOT/templates/ folder

Cheers,
Vraxor

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 01:17:27 PM »
Just add little bit to Vraxor's answer:
your templates should looks like this on the server:
/4imagesdir/templates/default/
/4imagesdir/templates/4greyblue/
/4imagesdir/templates/4greyblue2/
.... and so on.
then in admin control panel u should see only names of those themes folders, no .html files.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 01:45:56 PM »
Quote from: V@no
Just add little bit to Vraxor's answer:
your templates should looks like this on the server:
/4imagesdir/templates/default/
/4imagesdir/templates/4greyblue/
/4imagesdir/templates/4greyblue2/
.... and so on.
then in admin control panel u should see only names of those themes folders, no .html files.

To expand further, once you select one of those "themes", you can then click "Edit Templates" in the admin Control Panel and you will find a drop down list of all the .html files.

• View Profile
thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 03:40:41 PM »
thanks a bunch, but the drop of templates with all the .html file extensions I dont need to touch right? But when I select the theme 4greybl, and load it, nothing happens!!! I go to my 4imagegallery main page and its not changed?!?! I dont understand, I installed it correctly, so I am still confused...  If you would like I can take a screen shot and show you if it would help you help me out more, thanks!!!

one more thing...
I have the 4greybl.php file as follows:

home/wwire/public_html/gallery/4greybl.php

that is correct right? it said the "root" directory, and I believe that is the root directory, is it not?

• View Profile
ok here are some screenshots..
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 03:49:24 PM »
here is the templates directory of 4greybl with the .html files and stuff

Here is the root directory with the .php file

[/img]

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Re: thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 07:31:22 PM »
Quote from: wrestlingwiredotnet
But when I select the theme 4greybl, and load it, nothing happens!!! I go to my 4imagegallery main page and its not changed?!?! I dont understand, I installed it correctly, so I am still confused...

After selecting "4greyblue" from the drop down list "Choose Template Directory" under the admin control panel "Settings" did you scroll to the bottom and click on the "Save Changes" button?

If you did that, try this thread:  http://4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2296

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2003, 06:29:25 AM »
OH MY GOODNESS, IM SO DUMB, THANKS SOOOO MUCH GUYS!!! I DIDNT HAVE IT SELECTED IN THE SETTINGS, HOW STUPID CAN I GET!!!

THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!!!

Wow, sometimes I just need to wake up and smell the coffee or something because I am just clueless, lol.

NOW its time to install some mods (god help me, LOL)