Author Topic: Permissions for users and Usergroups  (Read 4413 times)

Offline germish

• View Profile
Permissions for users and Usergroups
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:32:09 AM »
This might be a daft question.
I have created different user groups and set their permissions.
Then I allocated users to different user-groups.
Yet when I directly check permission of a user (not the permissions of the user-group the user belongs to)
All direct permissions of the user are set to "NO". The permission form of the user does not inherit the permissions of the user-group.
Yet when the user is logged in he has the permissions of the user-group.

This does not make much sense and confuses me for keeping track of permissions.

Why is it like this? Am I overlooking some meaningful reason? Or did I miss a bug fix.
I run v1.72.

Thanks
Best Regards
Ralf, the Island Ape !

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Permissions for users and Usergroups
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 06:25:22 AM »
well, the permissions are kind of confusing...there are two types of permissions, for groups and for members. What you see there are permissions for that individual member and not global permissions from different groups the member is in...
Untill 4images get third type of permission that would overide any group or single permissions, there is not much you can do about it...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline germish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:06:32 PM »
Thank you V@no,
The group permissions appear to overide the user permissions already anyway if user permissions are all set on "NO".
I should try out if a user permission set to "YES" overrides a group permission set to "NO".
If you bring in a third permission settings to overide it might just be an "if..then" form with equal or unequal.

If formfield user permission = formfield group permission then leave as is
If formfield user permission <> formfield group permission then compare to other user criteria from a dropdownlist and if equal, smaller or larger set to this either user permission or group permission depending on returned value.

This would be very cool indead.

At the moment I have about 200 categories and about 30 different usergroups. Friends-Germany, Friends-England, Friends-France, Friends-Romania, Friends-ROTW than the same again with Special-Friends.. and with Family... and with Extended Family.... and with Work Collegues trusted and collegues-untrusted

Every month I have at least 2 new categories and it drives me nuts to aupdate the categories private settings to the required settings of all usergroups.

An intelligent permission system rather than a pure systematic system would be a definate advantage.
Best Regards
Ralf, the Island Ape !

Offline ch€ri{Bi}²

• A PRoBLeM wIthOUt SoLuTioN Is NoT rEAllY a PRoBLeM
    • View Profile
    • Pat's Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »
well, the permissions are kind of confusing...there are two types of permissions, for groups and for members. What you see there are permissions for that individual member and not global permissions from different groups the member is in...
:? confusing... that's the word...  :?
 if i have a user in a group, when i use this code :
check_permission("auth_xxxxx", $cat_id)
what permission did i get?
 :?: user permissions or group permissions?
ch€ri{Bi}²