Author Topic: Prevent stealing  (Read 7272 times)

Offline valle

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://mangabyte.vze.com
Prevent stealing
« on: June 07, 2003, 10:37:40 AM »
What this does:
Prevents people to left click, mark any text or drag anything to a text document or on the desktop. As this will appear on all pages, people will have to download the files or read the source to get the files. I'm not sure on which browsers this work on but i've personally tried it on IE5 and 6.

Just put this in the body tag in /templates/*skin*/header.html
oncontextmenu="return false" onselectstart="return false" ondragstart="return false"
Code: [Select]
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#0F5475" link="#0F5475" vlink="#0F5475" alink="#0F5475" oncontextmenu="return false" onselectstart="return false" ondragstart="return false">
Example: http://gallery.mangabyte.vze.com

- - - - - -

I also removed the popup window which appear when you press the left button, but as i don't know which browsers this works, it is up to you if you want the popup window when you left click. If you want to remove it do like this.

Find this in header.html (If you miss it, you need glasses):
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
  function opendetailwindow() {
    window.open('','detailwindow','toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,width=680,height=480');
  }

function right(e) {
    if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && (e.which == 2 || e.which == 3)) {
      alert("© Copyright by {site_name}");
      return false;
    }
    else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && (event.button==2 || event.button == 3)) {
      alert("© Copyright by {site_name}");
      return false;
    }
    return true;
  }
  document.onmousedown=right;
  if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
  window.onmousedown=right;
// -->
</script>

And replace with:
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
<!--
  function opendetailwindow() {
    window.open('','detailwindow','toolbar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=no,width=680,height=480');
  }
// -->
</script>

Btw, does anyone know a good PHP and MySQL tutorial? I've tried to find one but end up with something else.

Offline valle

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://mangabyte.vze.com
Prevent stealing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 01:38:26 PM »
I found something which can be irretating. I was writing the description of an image and wanted to remove some from it by marking the text by holding shift and press leftarrow, sadly i had forgotten that you are not allowed to do so.

If you need to be able to mark something, remove onselectstart="return false". This will enable people to mark and copy text and possibly images too, into programs, but i cannot find any other way around this.

Another thing, IE gives you a small menu where you can save bigger images. So people can save images around 200x200px and bigger.

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Prevent stealing
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 05:33:48 PM »
You might want to review this topic:
http://4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1716

Offline seth

• View Profile
Prevent stealing
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 08:48:03 PM »
seem to be too much trouble for something that if any one really want to steall the image, all they have to do is take a screen capture of the page and recript it.

One you would have to also disable the Print Scrn button and 2 you would also have to disable the use of other products such as camtasia or snaggit.

Is it really worth all that?

Offline bajeboy

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent stealing
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 12:35:46 AM »
Hi, I am not a techie or anything, and I have little skill when it comes to computers, but they are many ways in which people can copy pictures from websites.

With all the codes and ways and means of preventing people from stealing images, I don't see it necessary, because someone will always steal images. Many ways include, reading the source code, taking snapshots or even by opening another browser window, type about:blank in the address bar, hit enter and then drag the desired pic in that window, they are many other ways. As I always say, if man makes it, man can break it.

Just my two cents worth

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Re: Prevent stealing
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 01:12:48 AM »
Of course and that's not the point here.  All anyone is trying to do is make it harder for a thief.  Cars have locks and people lock their cars when they're not using them.  That doesn't make it impossible to steal a car, it just discourages people from doing it.  You wouldn't leave your car windows down, the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition would you?  :wink: