Author Topic: Verification Code Image Not Always Showing  (Read 24509 times)

Offline whatname

• View Profile
Verification Code Image Not Always Showing
« on: August 13, 2007, 05:36:53 AM »
Hello,

Problem - The image is missing, about half the time, for the verification code on image upload. I have version 1.7.4

I set myself up as a user and this happens about half the time. I know that there are images available and the captcha files seem to be ok. When the image is missing, I just click on it to get a new one. I usually do get a new image. Sometimes I have to click several times. I don't have the application linked to the rest of my site so no one but myself is using it yet.

I searched the forum and found nothing. Perhaps the problem is in the file that calls the captcha. I don't know what file that would be. I don't want to disable the captcha so any help is appreciated.

Love this application! It was very easy to customize and is very user friendly.
Thanks so much,
Jessica

Offline thunderstrike

• 4images Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Verification Code Image Not Always Showing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:57:54 AM »
- PHP Version
- 4images version

?
8 steps need when ask question -

- PHP version (ACP - > phpinfo())
- mySQL version (ACP - > phpinfo())
- 4images version
- Post screenshot / URL
- Post code in BB Code (no need full file for code) or post attach file
- It doesn't work. What is say - what is do for no work
- Install MOD ? If so - please say (troubleshooting)
- Read FAQ ? Install Bug fixes ?

Offline whatname

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 03:52:12 AM »
My server PHP version is 4.4.4
My 4Images version is 1.7.4

Offline whatname

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 04:15:32 PM »
I deleted the files and started with a new program.

I reset the template files but changed nothing else. My url is http://www.mywaynesboro.com/photos
All of the work on the upload and template change was made yesterday. I also registered two users other than myself. The verification code was there for both the admin image uploads as well as the registered user uploads.

This morning when I went in to add more images, the verification code is only there half the time.

My error log reads like this:

[21-Nov-2007 09:36:28] PHP Warning:  imagettftext() [<a href='function.imagettftext'>function.imagettftext</a>]: Could not read font in /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php on line 168

[21-Nov-2007 09:36:29] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php:168) in /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php on line 94

[21-Nov-2007 09:37:53] PHP Warning:  getimagesize() [<a href='function.getimagesize'>function.getimagesize</a>]: Read error! in /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php on line 255

[21-Nov-2007 09:37:53] PHP Warning:  imagettftext() [<a href='function.imagettftext'>function.imagettftext</a>]: Could not read font in /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php on line 168

[21-Nov-2007 09:37:54] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php:255) in /home/mywayne/public_html/photos/includes/captcha_utils.php on line 94

I know nothing of php except that I could easily mess it up if I try to fix it. I did try a fix for the config.php file that sets each occurrence but it only made the entire photo area a blank page. This is the link to the fix that didn't work for me: http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=14690.0

Please help, the site is live and there will be visitors trying to register and load images.

Thank you for your time,

Offline whatname

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:21:47 PM »
Let me also say that I am not using a special template. I just changed the .html pages to customize the look. All of the original function is still there, only the look has changed.

Offline whatname

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:47:44 PM »
This is a very good resource as well!

"No need. Go to global.php file and find: $captcha_enable_comments = 1 - change to 0. "

This comment was posted in this very helpfull string: http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=18296.msg97590#msg97590

Offline whatname

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »
I am finding alot of ways to get around the problem but no fix. I want to use the verification code. It worked great the first day. I don't mind using it as the admin. I like that only real people will be able to post to my photo gallery.

Let me know if I need to give any other information. I have included my error messages above.

Thanks so much for all of the great work you have done in making this program so wonderful. This is the best image gallery that I have found and so easy to use, for both admin and users. Your time is very valuable and so I say Thank You again for taking your time and helping others by providing this forum.

Have a great day! :)
Jessica

Offline olgaart

• View Profile
    • FotoClub
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:03 PM »
I have the same problem: sometimes it works, but more often I see a little red cross instead of the picture.

www.fotoclub.robertmagel.de

(FAQ -> http://www.4homepages.de/forum/index.php?topic=14690.0 did not help)

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:20:17 AM »
Just refreshed your captcha for over 50 times and didn't see a single broken image...maybe its something with your browser?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:03:15 AM by V@no »
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 12:44:58 AM »
@olgaart

... it works also perfectly for me without any mistake ...
... but for your gray template you could make a design adaption ...
... here is a Tutorial ... [TUT] Change of the CAPTCHA-Design ... ;)
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline olgaart

• View Profile
    • FotoClub
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:20:40 AM »
Hi V@no , fixed it yesterday, found in the captcha images directory, that my ftp-programme addad a log-file, and when it was chosen as a captcha background, it did not work.
mawenzi, thanks for the link, you are right the backgrounds do not fit the grey template, will try to change it.

Many thanks!

Offline olgaart

• View Profile
    • FotoClub
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:35:55 AM »
Change of the CAPTCHA-Design ...
That was easy and looks much better! Noch mal vielen Dank!

Offline mawenzi

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 09:10:52 AM »
@olgaart

... only one word ... perfect ... :mrgreen:
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question ! ( © by V@no )
- please read the Forum Rules ...
- please study the FAQ ...
- please try to Search for your answer ...

You are on search for top 4images MOD's ?
- then please search here ... Mawenzi's Top 100+ MOD List (unsorted sorted) ...

Offline olgaart

• View Profile
    • FotoClub
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »
Thanks a lot! :D :D

Offline † manurom

• View Profile
    • manurom's 4images templates
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Hi, all;
it must be in the FAQ! :D.

Many FTP tools uses to write their own log in uploaded directories, as WSFTP or CPanel's utility, writing a "wsftp.log" or similar file. CAPTCHA routine doesn't mind what is this file's extension and tries to use it as background, when placed in captcha/backgrounds/ directory.

Maybe users that tried to customize CAPTCHA design would face such problem, because of the file "thumbs.db" that MS Windows generates.

Just an advice: before uploading your files to your website, perform a search in the directory where you files are. Search for files having extensions like ".log", ".db", ".bak"... and delete them all before uploading the directory by FTP. Once uploaded, check your website to find such files.

At last, look at your FTP tool configuration. It must exist a way to avoid generating such logs (i.e. FileZilla does not generate any unwanted file).

Thanks olgaart for having given us the clue!