Author Topic: Ratings vs. Votes  (Read 11586 times)

Offline gls

• View Profile
Ratings vs. Votes
« on: April 08, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
I don't see the difference between these two. I have a dropdown for the ratings, so I know what happens with that. But what is it that a user does that makes a "vote?" Is it when they add it to their lightbox?

Apologies for the dumb question.  :oops:

Offline Acidgod

• 4images Guru
  • It's me?
    • View Profile
    • Flash-Webdesign
Re: Ratings vs. Votes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 05:47:41 PM »
Yes, I have that, too. I have a section for ratings and a section for votes. But how does one vote? What creates the vote? Downloading? Adding to lightbox? Sending as an ecard?

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 09:39:27 PM »
Surely somebody knows this? What makes a vote?

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 05:31:36 PM »
The linked page says,
Top 10 images by rating (I think this comes from using the Rate Form dropdown?)
Top 10 images by votes [Where Does This Come From?]
Top 10 images by hits (I think this comes from 4images counting the number of times an image is viewed?)
Top 10 images by downloads (I think this comes from 4images counting the number of times an image is downloaded?)

Offline Acidgod

• 4images Guru
  • It's me?
    • View Profile
    • Flash-Webdesign
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »
 8O 8O 8O 8O

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:56:04 PM »
Well, I apologized for it being a stupid question, but I'm telling you, I do not know the answer. Do you know the answer?

Offline Acidgod

• 4images Guru
  • It's me?
    • View Profile
    • Flash-Webdesign
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
yes i know it but me english is too bad to tell it to you... )o:

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:39:32 PM »
Maybe someone else will. Right now I have three images with "votes" but I am the only person who has even been to my site; the only person registered (albeit twice); the only person doing anything at all there, and yet there are votes??? Maybe voting comes from just clicking on an image, but I find that to be unreasonable and certainly a poor indicator of a "vote." I thought it might come from adding to the Lightbox, but I have added only one image to my Lightbox, which does not explain the other two votes. I sent one eCard to myself, which also does not explain the other two votes.

Any English-speakers care to explain this to me, pretty please with sugar on top? :D

Offline Acidgod

• 4images Guru
  • It's me?
    • View Profile
    • Flash-Webdesign
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 01:46:56 PM »
Top 10 images by rating (I think this comes from using the Rate Form dropdown?) Right!
Top 10 images by votes [Where Does This Come From?] when 1000 People rate image A and 900 rate image B, then is image A on the first place and image B is on the second... Whatever the rate...
Top 10 images by hits (I think this comes from 4images counting the number of times an image is viewed?) Right!
Top 10 images by downloads (I think this comes from 4images counting the number of times an image is downloaded?) Right!

Do you understand?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 02:03:11 PM by Acidgod »

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 02:05:51 PM »
Ok, I think so. When 1000 people rate image A, and only 900 rate image B, image A is in first place and image B is in second place. Therefore, an image cannot have a "vote" unless it has been rated. Once it has been rated, it competes with all other images in all categories to achieve the largest number of ratings. [I think.]

...Thank you, Acidgod. :)

This could get quite complicated!! My mind is reeling from the possibilities. ;)

Offline SoftDux

• View Profile
    • SoftDux - The Leaders in Software & Networking
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 05:07:28 PM »
I don't get it. Voting and rating something is two sepete things, so your example doesn't really have anything todo with voting.

Polls are a good example of a vote, where one can choose 1 or more options from a list of options, where rating is more something where one can choose on a scale, of say 1 - 10, how good something is
Visit these Website:  SA WebHosting Talk || SoftDux

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 04:24:17 AM »
You don't get Acidgod's explanation, or my question?

As it happens, voting and rating in 4images are not quite two separate things, though. No votes can take place unless an image has been rated first. The script extrapolates the votes from the ratings. Users don't actually vote. Users rate.

4images does not have polls.

Offline SoftDux

• View Profile
    • SoftDux - The Leaders in Software & Networking
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 09:34:29 AM »
Sorry, let me put it differently.

I do understand what both of you said, but my confusion is more in terms of how 4Images does it. Voting & rating is in essence two different things, and if both these words are used for the same thing, then it's gonna cause quite some confusion, right?
Visit these Website:  SA WebHosting Talk || SoftDux

Offline gls

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 04:53:25 PM »
Well, but, the word voting is used for what the script does, and the word rating is used for what the user does. The only problem is if your user asks you, "How do I vote?" Then you would have to explain that they don't.