Author Topic: After upgrade to 1.7.3, I lost all thumbnails, and get Error creating thumbnail!  (Read 9063 times)

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
After upgrade to 1.7.3 I lost all thumbnails, and auto-thumbnail doesn't work anymore, and generates the old "Error creating thumbnail!" message. I have GD installed and was working fine before the upgrade to 1.7.3. I have the latest GD on my server.

V@no, sure could help your expertise here.

Thanks.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
[olist]
  • upgraded from what version?
  • "lost thumbnails" how? you see 404 icon or jpeg,giv,png, etc icons instead of actual thumbnails?
  • and what do you see if you edit an image in ACP?
  • do you have backup? can you actualy confirm that if you restore backup files everything is working fine, but with new .php files no thumbnails?
  • [/olist]
    I'm asking this, because there was no changes made to image manipulation module, so what you've discribed is hardly could be caused by upgrading (aka replacing ALL .php files with new ones), perhaps either you made a misstake during the upgrade, or the problem was before the upgrade and you just didnt noticed it...
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
[olist]
  • upgraded from what version?
  • "lost thumbnails" how? you see 404 icon or jpeg,giv,png, etc icons instead of actual thumbnails?
  • and what do you see if you edit an image in ACP?
  • do you have backup? can you actualy confirm that if you restore backup files everything is working fine, but with new .php files no thumbnails?
  • [/olist]
    I'm asking this, because there was no changes made to image manipulation module, so what you've discribed is hardly could be caused by upgrading (aka replacing ALL .php files with new ones), perhaps either you made a misstake during the upgrade, or the problem was before the upgrade and you just didnt noticed it...
I see the JPG, JPEG icons and etc.
In the ACP, when I go to edit any picture, all the images for the thumbnail files are 404 icon.
I don't have a backup, but I think I may have over-rided the thumbnail directory (looking at the logs for my ftp) but that still doesn't explain why I ge the error.
I upgraded from 1.7.2 version with no hacks (during upgraded, I only replaced the .php files and didn't run the install)

I do remember runing the Auto-thumbnail prior to the upgraded one time, and it did work fine.
I will revert back to 1.7.2 to see if the problem is solved, and then will post my findings.

Thanks V@no  :)

Offline HelpMeNow

• View Profile
I reverted back to 1.7.2, and you are right, I still had the problem.
So I looked at my server error logs and found the following:

PHP Warning: imagejpeg() [<a href='function.imagejpeg'>function.imagejpeg</a>]: Unable to open './../data/thumbnails/1/t.JPG' for writing in /var/www/vhosts/my_domain.com/httpdocs/gallery/includes/image_utils.php on line 88, referer: http://www.my_domain.com/gallery/admin/thumbnailer.php

I discovered that the folder 1 for some reason doesn't exist in the thumbnail folder of data folder. My ftp client must have somehow deleted the whole directory. I created the folder named 1 in the /data/thumbnails directory and thumnails started working.

I also went ahead and again upgraded back to 1.7.3 and the thumbnail works perfect as well.

I appologize for not catching this (delete of folders in the data/thumbnails directory). But, again thank you for your help V@no. I hope this post may help others if they accidently delete folders in the /data/thumbnail directory and wonder why they get the error message smilliar to mine.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:01:23 AM by HelpMeNow »

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Glad you could figure it out ;) and I most "glad" that it happend with thumbnails folder and not media 8O
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline janaage01

• View Profile
Hello,

at first SORRY my english is not good, but i had a error with the autothumpnailer.php too. I updated from 1.7 to 1.7.3. When I started create a thumbnail I got the following error: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /www/htdocs/v104618/4images/admin/thumbnailer.php on line 115
With 1.7 its works fine.

Maby you coud answer in german?

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
(it might not work, but worth a try ;))
in admin/thumbnailer.php find:
Code: [Select]
show_admin_header();

insert above:
Code: [Select]
@set_time_limit(360);

Offline janaage01

• View Profile
No, it works not.  :cry:

Now I had installed a new 1.7.3-gallery. There is no error.
Could it be, that I have to many pictures and movie in the database? (2754 pictures + movies with 757 MB)

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
yes, its possible, plus the server could be "too busy" and it couldnt check all the files in 30 seconds...