Author Topic: ** How do you add categories to user groups????  (Read 10442 times)

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
** How do you add categories to user groups????
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:35:32 PM »
ive made 3 user groups. Each user group can be edited to have different permisions but when saved nothing happens, it says, NO CATEGORIES ADDED??

is it suppose to be like this

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: ** How do you add categories to user groups????
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 11:26:20 PM »
Would you provide step by step how you do it?
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:40 PM »
no problem sir,

1) What i do is go into 4images (admin section)

2) Then on the left of the screen in the admin section, i go to the user section and then click on user groups.

3) after that i create 3 groups.

4) once the 3 user groups have been created what i do is then go to permisiions which is a link next to each group i created.

5) i then click on the permissions that each group is allowed to have ( i.e - voting, commenting, uploading)

6) when i click on the catergories that ech group can have (voting, commenting) depending on what group its in, it says at the top ( permissions updated) but then at the bottom, it says no categories added.

So i was wondering is it suppose to be like this??

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
That is weird and not supposed to happened.

I just looked at the code and the only way it could possible show that message if no categories exist, but then you wouldn't be able select any permissions either...
or if something was altered in global.php

1) What 4images version are you using?
2) did you modify any of 4images files?
3) when you open a group permission page, does it show you correct permissions that were previously saved?
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 02:38:51 AM »
hello

thank u so much for replying, i am using the latest version sir, that you lot have one your site.

I havent really altered anything, i mean i am using default 960 as my user inteface apart from that the only things i edit is the words that are used and tweaking a few images here and there.

Apart from that sir, i reallly havent done anythingg, the screenshots u have put into the thread is exactly what im talking about, the categories are chekboxes, i click on them and then after it tells me permissions updated but at the bottom where u put test and test 2 it says no categories added.

What do you suggest i do sir?? because i am nearly done with my website and this is the only thing holding me back :-(. ive made quite a few topics on this issue but u r the only kind person to reply back to me. So i really want to thank u. What should i do? o and when i go back into user groups no categories have are there even though im told the permissions have been updated.  :-( help me sir

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:30:28 AM »
Ok, a picture worth a thousand words, can you create a temporary administrator account and PM me with link to the site and login info?

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
Hello sir

i have sent u what u have asked for to ur PM,

Thank u sir

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 03:02:16 PM »
Ok, as I said before the "No categories added" messages shows only when there is no categories exist, well, guess what? - you didn't add any categories to your gallery...
The user/group permissions can only be set for a category, not for 4images itself, so at least one category required.
Also check out this FAQ topic: I can't set permissions for a user or a group

I suppose the whole permissions page should be redesigned not to show any buttons to avoid such confusion in the future.

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Hello sir

You have been amazing, FANTASTIC SUPPORT. I think my problem was that i thought clicking on the checkboxes was what created the categories. I think it was the confusion on my behalf and i sincerely apolgize. God bless u and Thank u from the bottom of my heart.

Sir i have another issue, is there a manual discussing the differences between

registered users and private users. Because i have a plugin in that when a user registers they automacailly can register with the same details they registered with on another software. So if they register are they private? or are they registered users? its confusing and also what is direct upload?

thank u sir

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:32:25 PM »
In reality 4imagers has only 4 type of users:
1. guest
2. registered but not activated user (such users are treated as guests, so this type pretty much being ignored)
3. registered user (activated user)
4. administrator

There is no such thing as "private user".
Category permission "private" applies only to the "registered user" type, it allows select specific users or user groups who would have permission access that feature.

The "Direct upload" permission allows upload images directly without validation. This permissions used in combination with "Upload" permission. (more info: FAQ -> [How to] remove image validation on upload)

Note: administrators don't have any restrictions in 4images, if you going to test permissions, make sure you do that with a normal user, not administrator.

Offline zakaria666

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »
Hello,

I have got 3 user groups, each user group has different categories with set permissions. Say for example ecah category consisted off 1 month and after that one month was over and get expired and must renew again, if they can still login to 4images but not be part of any groups can they still have privileges as the usergroups. What sorts of things can a person do is they arent part of user groups.

Thank u sir

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 01:18:56 AM »
It sounds like you don't quiet understand what are the permissions and how they work. Your attempt understanding it would be trial and errors: create different users, and use different browsers/profiles to login as such users at the same time, it would sure take less then 4 days then bumping this topic up and waiting for an answer ;)

P.S.
This method applies especially when 3nd party software involved as you clearly stated in your 3 previous attempts bump this topic up.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:44:54 AM by V@no »