Author Topic: New forum software  (Read 60189 times)

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
Re: New forum software
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2005, 07:00:47 PM »
Eventually the news item will become outdated and go away.

Offline hyde101

• 34TR.COM (Running 4images)
    • View Profile
    • Nostalgia Istanbul
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2005, 07:31:29 PM »
maybe you can fiddle with the theme layout and make the font smaller.. ;)

i got used to it, but in default it is pretty neat, and tucked away with scrollbar,
but on non-default theme, it is right in front.

Like i said, I got used to it. ;)

plus, pls change http://www.4homepages.de/forum/Themes/classic/images/smflogo.gif this logo.

Please Vote for my site: Here

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2005, 11:57:07 PM »
and it is not too popular with hackers/scripts.
I hope u ment "hacks" not "hackers" :P

Please name atleast one hack/script/mod Jan installed on old phpbb forum :P ;) :D
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline hyde101

• View Profile
    • Nostalgia Istanbul
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2005, 03:59:05 PM »
i actually meant hackers. ;)

I didn't meant the mods that are installed on phpbb itself.

As you know phpbb is very popular among hackers, due it's popularity & some vulnarabilities. They are attracted to it like flies to crap.

You may remember, the previous version of phpbb was wide open to hacks, and therefore to the scripts that included these codes that did macros on all xx.xxx versions. Using this, they can gain access to the root / of the server that /forum is running on.

Now, what I mean with this one is not being too popular, is since this forum s/w is not widely used, there is no point for them to eat their brains out searching for flaws. ;)

Offline sullyirl

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenet2k.com
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2005, 10:15:29 PM »
Personaly, I dont like the forum software you choose. Why not go with Invision Power Board? Its much neater and modable!

- Sully

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2005, 10:43:34 PM »
Personaly, I dont like the forum software you choose. Why not go with Invision Power Board? Its much neater and modable!

- Sully
Last time I've checked IPB is not free...
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline sullyirl

• View Profile
    • http://www.thenet2k.com
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2005, 11:55:46 PM »

- Sully
Last time I've checked IPB is not free...

Either was VBulletin.. correct me if im wrong.

- Sully

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2005, 12:38:30 AM »
yes, vbulletin is also commertial product - and thats why vbulletin is not used on this forum either...

Offline AntiNSA2

• As long as I can finish my site before I die.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelifephotography.com
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2005, 07:16:44 AM »
If possible, it would be cool to see the number of replies in the top left corner of this board that way you could know if there were any replies to your posts without having to actually click on the link first :)

As long as I can finish my site before I die.

Offline hyde101

• View Profile
    • Nostalgia Istanbul
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
before requesting any "modifications" you can check to see if it exists here: http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?a=search;type=0-

the best feature I found with this SMF, it is so easy to just port from phpbb -or any other board for that matter- into this one seemlesly & pretty quickly. ;) even on a shared db.

Offline tisi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2005, 11:03:05 PM »
ich finde es grob fahrlässig von den Forenadmins, dass sie nichts zur Behebung der bekannten Sicherheitslöcher
unternommen haben  :evil:

Offline GAGA

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2005, 03:51:21 PM »
Really sad that nearly all postings since 2003 are lost forever. Strange that the backups are lost too. Didn't your webhoster 1&1 make frequently backups of your data? I don't understand why you didn't made any backups of the SQL Database for years. However, IPB isn't free anymore. Of course you can use the last free version, but you wouldn't be able to update the board. Why don't using vBulletin? I know it isn't free. But you can purchase a lifetime license with the guarantee of having always a good, powerful and secure board software with a great community.

cu

Offline godboko

• View Profile
    • http://www.vwchosting.com
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2005, 09:51:07 AM »
Really sad that nearly all postings since 2003 are lost forever. Strange that the backups are lost too. Didn't your webhoster 1&1 make frequently backups of your data? I don't understand why you didn't made any backups of the SQL Database for years. However, IPB isn't free anymore. Of course you can use the last free version, but you wouldn't be able to update the board. Why don't using vBulletin? I know it isn't free. But you can purchase a lifetime license with the guarantee of having always a good, powerful and secure board software with a great community.

cu

vB is not secure, believe me, I have several clients that use it, it gets hacked as much as PHPBB. And The updates stop after 2 years on there life time deal, so really it isn't a good deal at all. IVB is extremely expensive.

SMF is really the best forum I have seen in years, set up right its much more powerful then phpBB and IVB and is as powerful as vB. Really this is great forum software, would have been happy to see the switch when phpBB went real back with security flaws.

SMF is also much easier to mod then IVB, VB and PHPBB.

Offline GAGA

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2005, 06:10:48 PM »
vB is not secure, believe me, I have several clients that use it, it gets hacked as much as PHPBB.

Nothing is 100% safe. In my opinion a vBulletin Board is more secure than a phpBB board. But you are right. VB Boards were being hacked too.

SMF is really the best forum I have seen in years, set up right its much more powerful then phpBB and IVB and is as powerful as vB. Really this is great forum software, would have been happy to see the switch when phpBB went real back with security flaws.

Personally I don't know SMF Boards. I installed and tried phpBB, IPB and vBulletin. I really like the IPB because it has a really clean sourcecode and it's easy to manage and easy to grasp. phpBB isn't bad, especially cause i'ts free. But you will find the most features in a vBulletin Board. A lot of plugins and mods and thousands of settings.

SMF is also much easier to mod then IVB, VB and PHPBB.
This is a result of a lower complexety. However, it's always a matter of personal taste. :wink:

cu

Offline godboko

• View Profile
    • http://www.vwchosting.com
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2005, 07:46:26 PM »
This is a result of a lower complexety.

SMF is no less complex, it has a real mod managmenet system, and depending on how the developer made the mod you can update it via the admin. It's also vary scalable. I am using SMF on a forum with over 100,000 users with 5,000-8,000 avtive users a day. vB was the only other forum that worked, but vB pulled come crap with my purchase anyway, am vary unhappyt as of the last 6 months with vB.

Its good software, but not worth the hassel.