Author Topic: installation instructions are inadequate - ned clarification  (Read 3835 times)

0 Members ve 1 Ziyaretçi konuyu incelemekte.

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
    • http://www.mycaribbean.info
installation instructions are inadequate - ned clarification
« on: Nisan 03, 2003, 09:33:05 ÖS »
This is a complaint, which is not usually the way to get help but I'm only telling it like it is.

To start with, the download page does not make it clear that BOTH the 1.7 zip file AND the language pack must be downloaded for languages other than German.  There is an assumption that this is understood.  It suffers from the basic defect that plagues all assumptions.

The only way for a non-German speaker to discover that both are required  is to downloaded the English language version, unzip it and find instructions with reference to needing 1.7 a-prioi.  It woud be much more useful if the download page simply said "non-German users, download 1.7 and your language of choice."

Also, in the English pack are 2 files called "installation.txt". Never saw such a thing before and it has no justification. There should be either one file of that name or two files with different names. But not two identically named.
The logical thing would be to combine them into a single file.
Thank you,
CaribeJoe

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: installation instructions are inadequate - ned clarification
« Reply #1 on: Nisan 03, 2003, 09:43:54 ÖS »
Quote from: CaribeJoe
The only way for a non-German speaker to discover that both are required  is to downloaded the English language version, unzip it and find instructions with reference to needing 1.7 a-prioi.  It woud be much more useful if the download page simply said "non-German users, download 1.7 and your language of choice."

well, I agree with that.
Quote from: CaribeJoe
Also, in the English pack are 2 files called "installation.txt". Never saw such a thing before and it has no justification. There should be either one file of that name or two files with different names. But not two identically named.
The logical thing would be to combine them into a single file.

here I agree only on 50% - installation should be in one single file.
but, when u open both installation.txt files, u'll see that each one has instruction how to install different things (the language pack itself and images).
but, hey, atleast this software is free! :D :D :D
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
    • http://www.mycaribbean.info
installation instructions are inadequate - ned clarificatio
« Reply #2 on: Nisan 04, 2003, 07:18:33 ÖS »
Having said that, I have very high opinion of the software. Once I got past the above issues, installation was smooth.

I have a few questions but I'll post those in the apropriate forae.
Thank you,
CaribeJoe