Author Topic: How to search for images with specific START character in title?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline NetRebel

• View Profile
Hi all,

I am building a UMD™ VIDEO database using 4images. Besides the standard search, I would like to search for all titles starting with a certain character. For instance, I would like to do a search for all titles starting with "B" and then it should provide a list like Bad Boys, Bad Santa, Barbershop etc. and NOT (like it does now) with the character B anywheren INSIDE the title.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, what URL should I use for this?

I want to create a line in my header like A | B | C | D | E ... etc which would enable the users to search the database in an alphabetic index order.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: How to search for images with specific START character in title?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:25:46 PM »
It will be a little difficult to do, because 4images doesn't search in titles or description itself, but searches in keywords.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline NetRebel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »
Thank for your reply V@no. Perhaps I didn't ask the question the right way or I'm just misunderstanding you, but I'm pretty sure 4images DOES search the titles. Whatever name I give an image, 4 images will find it (using the quick search) when I enter a word that is in the name of the image. I'm not speaking of the actual FILEname of the image, but the name that is given and put in the SQL database when someone uploads an image.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »
The thing is, 4images splits image name, description, etc into separate words and stores these words as keywords.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline NetRebel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 12:19:04 AM »
Ah, okay. Starts to make sence now. :-)

So basically 4images just doesn't "know" which word a title/name starts with but more sort of holds an index that "tells" it that a word, for instance "fast" appears in image 14, 70, 101, 250 etc. without 4images actually knowing how or where the word is in those images?
Guess the search function will be of no use then (like you already told me). I'll have to come up with some routine that just reads throug all the images or maybe create a hidden custom field for this.

Thanks again V@no, I'l' try some other approach.