Author Topic: Will pay for "add category" mod  (Read 9804 times)

Offline lght

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Will pay for "add category" mod
« on: August 30, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »
I am looking for a very simple mod that allows users to add public (sub)categories. Users should have a link called "Add category". When clicked, a new panel should show up with: Category Name; Description, and a dropdown bar allowing them to select the Parent Category from existing categories. That's it. All categories should be public, and only admins should be able to edit/delete them. This mod should use the 4Images style and not have an individual style of its own so as to make it easy to maintain.

Will pay via Paypal. Please let me know how much it would cost either by responding to this message or sending me an email at acoseac at gmail. Thanks.

Offline yellowmosquito

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: Will pay for "add category" mod
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:41:47 PM »
I agree that this mod is long overdue.  This is one of the key features that would allow this product to be a viable option as a good image gallery.. I can't believe they dont have this in the package by default!

Offline ladytaz

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Majestic Imagery
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:08 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I'm setting up a "private" gallery for a genealogy group I'm a member of, and I would like for all the gallery members to be able to add their family surname categories THEMSELVES to upload their family photos into, instead of them having to contact ME to ADD categories for them. I could of course give them admin permissions, but I do not want them to have access to the FULL admin area, ONLY the add category area (and the upload multiple photos area, too, would be superb!) I know there's got to be a way to do this, like putting the link to "add category" in the upload page, but I'm really not experienced in coding (I can only do a little editing here and there)! I have hunted high and low about permissions for this, but find that there are no permissions for this type of action!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make this mod someone!!!  :D
If I could write code and figure it all out, I'd do it myself!!

Offline trez

• View Profile
    • blog / photography
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »
Let's just say, that such a MOD, will slow down your page very much. The more categories you have - the more 4images is slowing down.

If f.e. 5000 user create their own aub-cats, 4images will be 1200%-1800% slower, wich is very bad (i've made a test, these stats are real). In order to have such a mod installed without slowing down 4images, the whole 4images has to be rewritten.

Offline ladytaz

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Majestic Imagery
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 09:00:46 PM »
Maybe for those who have a PUBLIC site. Mine is private, and will probably have somewhere between 200 and 300 members, all of which will NOT be needing to add categories, as most will be sharing the same categories. There will probably end up being about 50 categories in the long run. If that.  So that should not be a probelm for me! It would be SO much easier for them to be able to add their own categories when needed, instead of them having to contact me, then having to wait on me to add the category, then them having to come back again at a later time to upload their photos.

So no matter, this mod would be a GREAT help to me! But, I guess it ain't gonna happen .... so we'll all just have to deal with it the way it is!