Author Topic: I Don't Understand How You Set Permissions  (Read 10776 times)

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
I Don't Understand How You Set Permissions
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:58:31 AM »
Hi, After I installed the program I went back and read the installation documentation and it says something about setting permissions. But how and where do you do that? I also don't understand about setting my SQL low either. I don't know where you do these things. Thanks.

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
Re: I Don't Understand How You Set Permissions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 10:50:03 PM »
Permissions you can set by FTP.
Another way to call it is CHMOD. Look here for more info: http://catcode.com/teachmod/

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 03:16:35 AM »
By ftp? Do you mean by uploading new files to the existing ones? Wouldn't you have to edit the files first? I'm not sure how you edit php files.

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:59 AM »
In FTP you set permissions, has nothign to do with upload more files.
How you change permissions in FTP depends on what FTP program you use. Look into your help files for what ever program you use.

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »
Okay, then this means setting upload and download permissions for my ftp program? I use Cute FTP and I have windows xp installed in my computer, if this helps any. That tutorial page didn't make alot of sense to me because it says it's for Linux and I don't know anything about using Linux. Thanks.

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
Okay, then this means setting upload and download permissions for my ftp program? I use Cute FTP and I have windows xp installed in my computer, if this helps any. That tutorial page didn't make alot of sense to me because it says it's for Linux and I don't know anything about using Linux. Thanks.
You are not setting permissions for your FTP program. You set permissions on your files/folders in your web server.

I don't use Cute FTP, but hope what I read in their forum helps.
To set permissions on a file you would have to right click on it, go to "Propeties/CHMOD". I believe that is where you can set the permissions.

If it is a windows thing then maybe someone that uses windows (with 4images) can help as that I have never used for web sites and have no clue on the differences since I never even tried it.

Offline steveeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 10:29:32 PM »
I have used cute and that is how you do it. You right click on the folder you want to change permissions for and choose properties.  More than likely you will be changing folders to 777 and files to 666 (whatever the 4images instructions says to do).

So go ahead.....get cute running. Next find the folder or file using cute on your server.  Next right click on that file or folder and change the permission per 4images instructions.

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:05:18 AM »
Okay, thank you, that made more sense to me now. I had never set permissions with Cute FTP before, but I never used anything like 4images either. I just had a simple website. I will have to try what you suggested, but it makes sense now. thanks very much.

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 05:42:19 PM »
Okay, well, that didn't work. When I try to change the permissions with Cute FTP, it gives me a message saying they were changed, but then when I look at the folder again, they are not changed. The default seems to be 666 for all of them, and the ones I changed to 777, didn't change. Now what?

Online kai

• Administrator
  • Addicted member
    • View Profile
    • 4images - Image Gallery Management System
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »
@ TygerStar: Perhaps your hoster does not allow to change chmod to 777. Try to contact him.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
1. Forum rules
2. FAQ
3. Search

Offline steveeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »
hmmmmmmm...that is pretty common today being able to change your permissions. If your host is preventing you from doing that you are in for a long ride since most server side software requires you to change some of the permissions.

Also, make sure you are changing permissions for the folders and files on your server, not on your local drive.

Offline TygerStar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:52 AM »
Okay, thanks, I will have to try asking my host company then what I should do if it's not working the way it's supposed to. Thank you for your help.

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 07:43:24 AM »
I will have to try asking my host company then what I should do if it's not working the way it's supposed to.

Copy and paste the permissions section from the install doc when you contact your host by email or support ticket. Maybe they will take care of it right away for you.
You may have to provide your username and password right away so then can do it for you since most hosts do not keep that information on file.