Author Topic: Getting my arms around organizing images in categories and subcategories  (Read 3946 times)

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
This is an organizational question and not a technical question.

I am new to the gallery function. What is the best practice for a large community that is sharing photographs within categories? I have installed the user sub category mod but I can see this turning into a gazillion sub categories. A few subcategories is good, a lot might be overwhelming.   Our community is focused on rowing. Many of our members attend a given rowing regatta.

Here is a good example:

We have a main category: Regattas

We have several subcategories for individual regattas, and undoubtedly users will add more subcategories for other regattas that they attend, be it in Sydney, Australia or Munich, Germany. Let's take one subcategory we created to get the ball rolling:
Head of the Charles (HOCR)

Now, we, as an organization, attend this event every year and take a number of photographs. So it seems natural to create subcategories for each year under Head of the Charles such as:
HOCR2007, HOCR2008, HOCR2009, and so on

So far so good. Now we, as the organizer of our community, upload our photographs to HOCR2009.  Do we make a subcategory yet again for our photographs, as opposed to other members' photographs? The dilemma is that perahps 100 of our members attend the Head of the Charles, and many of them are taking photographs.  Should they all share their photographs in this one subcategory, say HOCR2009?

To review:
Regattas -> Head of the Charles (HOCR) -> HOCR2009 -> even more subcategories under here? 

I realize there is nothing we can do to prevent members from creating their own subcategories but those of you with experience in large galleries must have some feeling on how to make this work well.  I ask this because we are starting to add descriptions to the main categories to nudge our members towards a preferred sorting method.

Thanks,

Brian

Offline batu544

• View Profile
    • Free Celebrity wallpapers
Re: Getting my arms around organizing images in categories and subcategories
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
Well.. may be you can just do the categories like below..

Regattas -> Head of the Charles (HOCR) -> HOCR2009 -> Locations  -> photos..

Here each photo will be identified by their owner ( added by ) name.. so, you can stop creating multiple categories..

Thanks,