Author Topic: using gd for thumbnailer creates unintended consequence  (Read 2352 times)

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
using gd for thumbnailer creates unintended consequence
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:35:57 PM »
Hi -

After that long back and forth about changing servers, we're still challenged with the quality of an upload of an image if we have GD selected in the ACP settings.

The issue is that with GD enabled, we do get a thumbnail automatically created but the image that is uploaded is hugely pixalated, almost as if the full size image is a blown up version of the thumbnail, and naturally, it is completely out of focus and looks terrible.

If we don't have GD enabled, we don't get the autothumbnail creation but the image that is uploaded looks perfect.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Brian

[Edit]  - issue resolved. read solution:

Okay, after reading some of the other posts on here about GD, I decided to check my settings in the ACP for upload.  In our old shared hosting installation, with Image Magick enabled, we never had a value specified for the field 'Auto Resize Quality.'  It never was an issue.

So on a whim, I decided to add a setting of 100 to the 'Auto Resize Quality' and that resolved the issue, actually two issues, the first being that the image that appeared in full size was now clear and sharp, and the autoresizer, that was not working, is now working.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 10:51:33 PM by surferboy »