Author Topic: changed servers - unable to upload images  (Read 9108 times)

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
changed servers - unable to upload images
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:05:02 AM »
Hi

Been a while since I posted on here. Our 4images installation has been working like a charm until now.

We just moved from a shared hosting environment to a VPS.  The scope of support from the host is limited. We are expected to use shell commands on our own.

All of the db's, user names, and passwords, were recreated on the VPS with identical everything.  The VPS is a linux environment, running php 5.3.5  Our installation is v1.7.7

Is there a file I need to modify to set a new path for uploading images or an ftp setting? I can upload images via direct FTP to the media categories but I am unable to upload a single image from the front end.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.  Our community is very active now and we are desperate to get our 4images installation up and running again.  We would be happy to pay for someone's time to assist and troubleshoot.

Cheers,

Brian

Rembrandt

Re: changed servers - unable to upload images
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »
Hi!

... but I am unable to upload a single image from the front end.
and what does not work?

mfg Andi

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
Hi -

Thanks for the reply.

If I go to a category, and I click on the 'upload' button or the 'multiupload' button (I feature both so my users feel at ease), and then use the browse button to select an image, leave the image name blank, add a description and add keywords, and then click submit, I get this message below the label 'Control Panel'

Error uploading image file:

Right now I have GDLibrary selected for autothumbnailer.

Thanks,

Brian

Rembrandt

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
hm.. have you set on the FTP the correct directory and file rights?

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 05:35:18 AM »
I have uploaded files directly into a category media file using our ftp service but that is no different than uploading any file to our server.

Where are you talking about the FTP correct directory and file rights? Is that in the ACP settings? I don't see it.
By file rights, I assume you mean file permission?

Thanks,

Brian

Rembrandt

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 05:45:15 AM »
yes the file permission (docs/Installation.english.txt step5.))...
is the error as Admin, or as a User?

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 05:55:49 AM »
the error is as a user.

all the permissions are correct for the directories and the files in the directories. I just checked them now, once again.

tried to upload an image as a user - same message: Error uploading image file:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:14:25 AM by surferboy »

Rembrandt

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
ok,..you have check the temp table in the Database, and all fields are available?

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
Hi -

thank you so much for trying to help!

Attached is a print screen of what I hope is the temp table that you are talking about in our db.

Brian

[edit]

I am almost sure there is a problem with the root_path.  To me, that is why the images are not uploading with the simple error of just error uploading image file and now, I have discovered that all the RSS feeds that vano helped me configure through rss.php do not work.

It has got to be related to a path to the old server that now no longer exists.

I have looked in the config file to update the path and in the global.php file ... I can't find anywhere to update the path.

I will bet good money on this.  Will bet with dollars or Euros.!!!

Thanks,

Brian
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 06:51:41 AM by surferboy »

Rembrandt

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »
ok we get stuck, if you want you can give me FTP access and Admin for the gallery, per PM.
maybe I'll find something...

Offline surferboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 07:12:27 PM »
Just want to say a huge Thank You to Rembrandt for trying to fix this issue.  He thought it might be related to the member.php file.

Unfortunately, when I replaced my heavily modified member.php file with a generic member.php that I had from downloading the 1.7.7 install, there was no change ... still the file upload error message.

So  I think we can eliminate that file as the cause ...

hmmm, this is such a mystery!!! and I am going crazy ... since our website is active and no one can upload images from the user end!!! :((

[edit]

okay, here is another update: I just discovered if I add a new sub category, as a user or from the acp, then I CAN upload the images to that new category.  It seems I cannot upload images to the OLD categories (created from the shared hosting environment), as a front end user ... ??????????

[edit2]

okay, this is so weird!  with the problems I encountered, I decided to try out many of the features we have on here ... like download, and send an epostcard... and create a subcategory as a user...

once I created a subcategory as a user, that seemed to do the trick. now I can upload in both new and existing categories just fine. I have NO idea why doing what I did somehow changed this but ... I do know that when you create a subcategory, it creates a new entry in the db ... and maybe that was what was needed to configure it finally to the new server?  realize that logic is so flawed that coders on here will be laughing and sputtering coffee out of their mouths when they read this ...

I hope my record of troubleshooting might help someone else out ...

- Brian
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 07:48:22 PM by surferboy »