Author Topic: [Request] Keep track of member votes  (Read 6394 times)

Offline www.girls-on-bikes.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.girls-on-bikes.com/
[Request] Keep track of member votes
« on: June 06, 2003, 09:37:58 PM »
Hello All,
Here is the ultimate request:
I want away to keep track of which images users have voted on, and what rating they gave that image.

And no, this not an easy request, but just wanted to check to see if anybody has maybe done something similar.

When I get some time I will be writing out a hacked version of this, as I'm pretty sure I can do this mod, then do the usual, let V@no turn it into a real mod  :wink:

The "goal" of this would be to see if I get any malicous users, who simply give a low rating for all pictures they vote on, and give them a swift boot to the arse.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 09:47:55 PM »
actualy I already made this "mod" about 1.5 weeks ago...now, members cant vote more then ones even if they reset cookies. but still in testing process.
But want to warn u, the way it made right now will make your DB grew pretty fast, becase it inserts for each user and for each image independent entry. So each time someone vote, it creates new entry in the DB. this is best way considering perfomance, also, with this structure will be very easy make stats, to show who voted what images, what was the vote, and who voted for a specific image.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline www.girls-on-bikes.com

• View Profile
    • http://www.girls-on-bikes.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2003, 09:52:57 PM »
Yeah, I know the DB will grow rapidly, but I'm sorta used to that.
On my original site (www.girls-on-bikes.com), which was all written from scratch, I average 12 queries per second  :lol:
And the table which stores IP crap (to do vote spaming protection) is something on the order of 25-30MB.

I would only be using this for internal purposes, so the only affect that the user might see on slowdown is one INSERT query, which takes no time at all.

Then I will just write a little "display" script for me, which will have to do some heavy DB crunching, but that wouldn't have any affect on the user side, so I think it will be OK.

Offline RuthE

• View Profile
    • Discover Kate Gallery
Re: [Request] Keep track of member votes
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 01:59:12 AM »
I'd love to have some way to limit voters ability to vote over and over for images. I implimented a minimum number of votes for images to be in the top and now they're just voting that many times, which makes it even harder for things to more accurately reflect the whole of the members vs. just the one person who voted the 5-10 times.

Offline Lucifix

• View Profile
    • http://www.slo-foto.net
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 03:48:23 PM »
actualy I already made this "mod" about 1.5 weeks ago...now, members cant vote more then ones even if they reset cookies. but still in testing process.
But want to warn u, the way it made right now will make your DB grew pretty fast, becase it inserts for each user and for each image independent entry. So each time someone vote, it creates new entry in the DB. this is best way considering perfomance, also, with this structure will be very easy make stats, to show who voted what images, what was the vote, and who voted for a specific image.

V@no I don't know if you remember but once we had discouse about that. In my gallery vote's are saved in 4images_comments table. In my point this is much more useful.

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 03:04:04 AM »
V@no I don't know if you remember but once we had discouse about that. In my gallery vote's are saved in 4images_comments table. In my point this is much more useful.
its usefull only when you can not vote without adding a comment ;)

@RuthE:
personaly I have no idea what are you talking about besided that your visitors can vote more then ones for the same image...my question is: what did u do to make it happend like this?
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)