Author Topic: Resizing of thumbnail problem - Need additional field  (Read 6969 times)

Offline tradertt

• View Profile
Resizing of thumbnail problem - Need additional field
« on: March 09, 2003, 05:25:23 AM »
Thumbnail size in pixel

Proportions
Resize proportionally
Resize with fixed width
Resize with fixed height

Hi I have a problem. I am using this to display a thumbnail in my site and I need the thumbnail to be always of this proportion:

100 by 75

No change at any time. However if I set fixed height of 75, sometimes the width will be too long and if I set fix width of 100 then the height will be giving me problem.

If I set Resize Proportionally to 75, the image is slightly to small. Is there any way I can edit the admin script to add a variable of RESIZE WITH FIXED HEIGHT AND WIDTH and it can both be specified?

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: Resizing of thumbnail problem - Need additional field
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 06:05:22 AM »
Quote from: tradertt
Thumbnail size in pixel

Proportions
Resize proportionally
Resize with fixed width
Resize with fixed height

Hi I have a problem. I am using this to display a thumbnail in my site and I need the thumbnail to be always of this proportion:

100 by 75

No change at any time. However if I set fixed height of 75, sometimes the width will be too long and if I set fix width of 100 then the height will be giving me problem.

If I set Resize Proportionally to 75, the image is slightly to small. Is there any way I can edit the admin script to add a variable of RESIZE WITH FIXED HEIGHT AND WIDTH and it can both be specified?

well, there is an easier way around.
since 100x75 wont do resize AlWAYS proportionaly (and u seems dont care about that much  8O ), then, u can just set auto resize to 100x100, and just scale those thumbnails to 100x75 when they displayed.
and all u need is change two lines in /includes/functions.php
Find two times:
Code: [Select]
$width_height = (!empty($image_info[3])) ? " ".$image_info[3] : "";
Replace both with:
Code: [Select]
$width_height = " width=\"100\" height=\"75\"";
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline tradertt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 06:16:13 AM »
set auto resize to 100x100, and just scale those thumbnails to 100x75 when they displayed

Just to reconfirm 2 things. Set auto resize will be the field where I put the size of the thumbnail issit? Set it to 100 ... Right?

2) When I edit the /includes/functions.php  it will automatically be resize to 100x75 right? :D

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 06:20:19 AM »
well, it will resize PROPORTIONALY to 100x100
but on web page it will be "rescaled" to 100x75 (I bet it will be ugly looking thumbs  :lol: )
but anyway, goodluck ;)
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline SLL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 10:03:48 AM »
I guess I know what was the reason for such "strange" request  :)   When you make proportional thumbs, they are always different height, so the "favourites" button is jumping up and down, which really looks ugly enough sometimes. To avoid this I'm making fixed height thumbs on my site. Another simple workaround for this is changing thumbs output to the table with two fixed rows - first for thumb itself, second for "favourites" button.

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 01:44:05 PM »
Quote from: SLL
Another simple workaround for this is changing thumbs output to the table with two fixed rows - first for thumb itself, second for "favourites" button.

Exactly!
That was one of the first questions I had on this forum 8O
and u dont have to messing up the code, just fix the template.
( http://4homepages.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2189 )

Offline beachgerl

• View Profile
Resizing thumbnails problem - won't work
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 11:17:12 AM »
I thought I'd use this topic to ask my questions. I've made modifications in Settings. For thumbnails, I made sure that they are:

- 100x100 max (w & h)
- Auto-create thumbnail
- Thumbnail in pixel: 100
- Resize proportionally

Now, I tried to upload an image that is much larger than 100x100 size. It did not automatically reduce the image to 100x100. How do I make this work? So I don't have to resize every image to 100 pixels by myself, but let the gallery automatically resize those images to thumbnail size. I'm not sure what is missing and why it's not working?

Thanks!

Offline V@no

• Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 11:40:00 AM »
many people has/had this problem, most of them using ImageMagick as the module for resizing. Many of them admited, that that was the host's problem, that after reinstall ImageMagick worked fine...
I dont think there is 100% sure work around it.