Author Topic: Add an image map to the header  (Read 25973 times)

Offline helvissa

• View Profile
Add an image map to the header
« on: February 23, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »
Hello, I've had a look using "search" and can't find this, but I'm sure someone, somewhere must've asked this.

Here's my gallery: www.helvissa.com/gallery

All i've changed at the moment is the background colour in style.css.

What I'd like to do is make the gallery page look like the rest of the site, like here: www.helvissa.com/home.htm (the site's under construction, hence complete lack of content). The header is an image map.

How could I set up the gallery so it's, I suppose, embedded in one of my webpages, with the image map at the top so that people can navigate round the site?

(Please don't laugh at my design - it's very simple as I'm not a designer!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 09:17:12 PM by helvissa »

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
Re: Add an imame map to the header
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 09:08:16 PM »
you can modifly your templates to have this in it or just add it to the header.html.

Just make back ups before changing anything, that way if you dont like the way it looks you can revert back and try again or a different way.

manurom

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:22:11 AM »
Hello and welcome here;
I really like this fifties or sixties look. I remember such pictures as the swamp monster or the nutty professor... Why laugh?
If it can help, I have taken your code to begin to work on a a template visible here: helvissa first template
Click on "Test template" to see its behaviour. And if you like it, simply click on "download" to have the whole template in a zip archive.
From here, you can begin to custom your template. Please feel free to ask any question.
Regards.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:42:49 AM by manurom »

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 08:06:40 AM »
@manurom
That is very nice of you! I am guessing you didn't have much to do today  :wink:
Why don't you design some templates for 4images and put in the forum? Looks like you are very good at it, so show your work off  :D

Would never laugh as everyone has to start out somewhere

manurom

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
Why don't you design some templates for 4images and put in the forum?
Hi CeJay, and thanks
already done in respective forum, here: atoll template, and here: apple template. But I use to be a shy guy and not advertise my work.

I am guessing you didn't have much to do today  :wink:
I did it with my 10 year old son and took us about 15 minutes, as 4images templates are really "user easy access", may I say, instead of some CMS where you loose your hair trying to custom :roll:. We captured helvissa's homepage, then downloaded the template with a mass downloader and last modified it. It hopely needed just some basic HTML skills.

@helvissa, I am awaiting your site's evolution. I will keep looking at it, and feel will enjoy its content.
Please feel free to ask help, as far as I would be able to.

Would never laugh as everyone has to start out somewhere
We all have been beginners at a time. I have learned a lot in this forum for free. I try to share my knowledge also for free, and I keep on learning.
BTW, many, many, many thanks to Acidgod, TheOracle, Chris, others and over all V@no for their submissions. They can't figure how much they have helped so much people using 4images' script.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:33:53 PM by manurom »

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:07 AM »
BTW, many, many, many thanks to Acidgod, TheOracle, Chris, others and over all V@no for their submissions. They can't figure how much they have helped so much people using 4images' script.
I second that :!: :!:

Offline helvissa

• View Profile
Re: Add an image map to the header
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 09:20:42 PM »
Thank you CeJay! My next question was going to be, where do I edit it in the header, however.....

Manurom! You are officially AWESOME!!!! Thank you soooooo much for doing that for me. I'll definitely nab that if it's ok with you.

The website is for my band, so if you like 50's influenced music, hopefully you'll enjoy it. ;)

I do have some web design questions which aren't related to 4images, though - can I ask them here?

Offline helvissa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »
Ok, next question....!

To upload the template, do I just upload everything to the 4images directory on my site?

manurom

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 12:25:34 AM »
Hello;
unpack the downloaded zip file.
Then upload the entire folder called "helvissa" into your_site_gallery/templates/ folder
The structure will after be:
    site_gallery_folder
              |__admin
              |__cache

...blah blah...
              |__templates
                             |___default
(folder)
                             |___helvissa (folder)

Feel free to contact through the forum or by PM.

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 06:30:40 AM »
I do have some web design questions which aren't related to 4images, though - can I ask them here?

Feel free to PM me. I will offer help on what ever I can.
However I don't know everything or would ever claim that I did, but some help is better then no help  :wink:

Offline helvissa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »
Hello again, guys!

Right... I've uploaded all the files as in the instructions. I'm in the admin section, and in "General" I've gone to "Edit Templates". I've gone to "Select template-pack" and "helvissa" exists in the drop-down menu, so I've selected it, clicked load theme, and then scrolled down and clicked on "save changes". Then I click on "Go to the Gallery Home Page" but it's still the default. When I go back to "Edit Templates", it still says  default in the "select template-pack" drop-down.

Erm... what's up with that???!

manurom

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 04:01:18 PM »
Nono!
Go to "General" >> "Settings", at the left.
Then choose at the right "General Settings" >> "Choose template directory" and there in the dropdown, select your template.
View attached image .

Offline helvissa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 04:11:02 PM »
Ahhh! Ok... I've done that now. And... it works. Thank you! ;)

I want to change the colours of the gallery to match the rest of the site - do you know which files I need to go into to change them?

manurom

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »
The template is driven by the file "style.css".
Edit it and make the changes you need. Every page layout will then change.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 04:31:31 PM by manurom »

Offline CeJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 11:13:56 PM »
@ borniol

Can you give more description on what the layout looks like that you want implemented?
Maybe by providing a link. You can PM me the link if you want.

I can't speak for manurom (might agree tho) if it is something easy to do then can probably be no need to pay.

Also depending on the layout I think manurom is better fitted to design a custom template then I am. The few he has posted in previous post are nice templates and I have not done any to that extent yet.
In otherwards he is much better at it then I am  :)