Author Topic: Can somebody please help me out?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline staygold

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
Can somebody please help me out?
« on: November 27, 2005, 10:34:21 AM »
Can somebody please help me with moving my gallery to another server?...I've read the post somewhere here on the forum but I don't seem to understand exactly how to move the database to the other server. The info given in that post is very easy I guess, but I do not have any knowledge or experience with writing/editting or moving databases. I've allready moved the files to the other server. And if I go to "php my admin" I should for example copy the database and paste it to another oner?... I'm sorry for being not so clever with this, but can someone maybe give me a step by step "tutorial" how to make this work? I have totally no knowledge of databases :?
To the ones who can help me out, thanks in advance! :D

Offline boatman9999

• View Profile
Re: Can somebody please help me out?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:30:33 AM »
One method, assuming you are using PHPMyAdmin.

1) On your 'old' server open PHPMyAdmin then select the 'old' database.
2) Go to 'EXPORT'.
3) Click box ' Save as file' and boxes 'Structure', 'add drop table', 'add auto increment value', 'Enclose table and field names with backquotes' , 'data'.
4) Click 'GO' and save file to convenient place then download to your computer (make a note of where it is saved to).
5) On your 'new' server open PHPMyAdmin then create a new database with exaclty the same name as the 'old' database.
6) Then select the new database (ignore any messages telling you that there are no tables).
7) Select SQL then using 'Location of the textfile' locate the file you saved in 4) and upload this file. This should create all the tables and populate them with the original data.

Hope this helps.

There are complications if you cannot create your own databases using PHPMyAdmin, or if your new server auotmatically puts prefixes to table names, but these can be overcome. Try the above first.