Author Topic: What does a thumbnail program do?  (Read 3599 times)

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
    • http://www.mycaribbean.info
What does a thumbnail program do?
« on: April 10, 2003, 10:04:01 PM »
In Admin CP I selected a thumbnail program.

I also defined max for both the image size and the  thumbnail size.

When I open the dialog to up load a photo, I am offered the photo path and another for a thumbnail. That does make sense to me.

If the purpose of the thumbnail program is to create a thumbnail autmatically from the image, why must I offer a thumbnail and not simply the photo itself?

And if the thumbnail progam does not create thumbnails, why bother with a thumbnail program?
Thank you,
CaribeJoe

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: What does a thumbnail program do?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 10:15:13 PM »
Quote from: CaribeJoe
When I open the dialog to up load a photo, I am offered the photo path and another for a thumbnail. That does make sense to me.

If the purpose of the thumbnail program is to create a thumbnail autmatically from the image, why must I offer a thumbnail and not simply the photo itself?
sometime I'd prefere create thumbnail from just a part of the image, for example I want be showed only face of a person then whole image where u cant even see that there is a person, because they are too far away. That's the purpose let upload "home-made" thumbnail.
And as u could noticed by ammount of posts where people having problem with creating thumbnails, because of each hosts individual configuration. Some host dont even support any graphic convertion tools.

Quote from: CaribeJoe
And if the thumbnail progam does not create thumbnails, why bother with a thumbnail program?
if it doesnt work for u, it doesnt mean it doesnt work at all ;)
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline CaribeJoe

• View Profile
    • http://www.mycaribbean.info
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
Some host dont even support any graphic convertion tools.

As I said before, I own the serer. It's a Unix Red hat with the latest PHP and MySQL.  Exactly what support must I provide?
Thank you,
CaribeJoe

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 10:23:42 PM »
I already answered this in another thread about GD/GD2/ImageMagick
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)