Author Topic: How can I duplicate an existing entry completely?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline krs

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
How can I duplicate an existing entry completely?
« on: August 26, 2012, 10:29:54 PM »
Hi,

I just joined this forum to hopefully get an answer.

Running 4images version 1.7.7 and doing the admin function using a Mac running OS 10.6.8 with Camino (mozilla based) as the browser.

The nature of a lot of entries into the 4images database is such that all fileds stay mostly the same from entry to entry, only the picture itself changes and a few words in the description.

It would really speed up adding new entries if I could simply duplicate or clone an existing entry, picture and all fields, and then just replace the picture and make a few minor text changes - saves me from retyping the same information over and over again.

I was told a while back that such a cloning capability was not available so I have been repeating entry information for each picture which is rather tedious.

This morning, while I was trying to make a correction to the description of an entry, actually removing a decimal point, my fingers slipped and I think I might habe touche a button on the key board and maybe clicked twice with the mouse...not exactly sure...but the end result was that I ended up with an exact duplicate of the entry I was working on - just what I had wanted but was told it couldn't be done.

I think I was in the admin area of the entry where I was trying to remove the decimal point, but I could also have been in the regular user area but logged in as an administrator.

So now I'm trying to repeat what I did earlier by accident and have been unsuccessful.

Tried a bunch of key combination and mouse clicks, searched high and low, all without success.

This is a function that already exists in version 1.7.7 but I can't figure out how to activate it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

Knut

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
Re: How can I duplicate an existing entry completely?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:12:50 PM »
If it's only for yourself, the simplest solution is to use some browser extension. For example for Firefox:
 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)

Offline krs

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:21:40 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply  V@no,

I looked at the Firebox add-on you suggested and also installed it.
Great add-on, could have used it a few times in the past when filling out on-line forms and loosing the info half way through, but that add-on or any like it won't do what I'm looking for.

The functionality I need specific for 4Images is to be able to duplicate a specific existing entry in its entirety.
That functionality already exists in the software version I use since I managed to duplicate an entry once by accident - I'm just trying to find out how that is done.
I don't think there is a reference manual for 4Images I can look at.

When I look at the two entries, the original one and the duplicated (by accident one), they are identical except for the date stamp of the entries, the duplicate has a date stamp about an hour later than the original.
So somehow I managed to hit the right key/mouse button combination that retrieved all the information from the original entry, picture, all fields etc. and created a duplicate.
That was done with the existing software and in the admin window of the entry that was duplicated.
All I want is to be able to repeat this with other existing entries as required.

Knut

Offline krs

• Pre-Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:08:40 AM »
I'm back again.

I have been duplicating entries manually which is a pain and just wastes a lot of time unnecessarily.

Since I now again have a whole set of entries where 95% of it is the same for each entry, only the picture and a few words change, I decided to try a google search how to duplicate the whole entry in 4images and google brought me right back to this original post of mine.

I know it can be done quite simply by just a key/mouse combination - but which one?
Is there nobody on this forum who is intimately familiar with this software that can tell me how to duplicate an entry?
Seems like this should be a relatively easy and straight forward option, but all the my experimentation with different keyboard commands so far ahve proven fruitless.

I noticed there are quite a few German posts in this forum.
In German

Ich möchte einen existierenden Eintrag in der 4images Galery komplett kopieren - Bild, alle Felder und alles Text in den Feldern.
Vor ca. einem Monat hatte ich dies ohne Absicht gemacht als mir die Hand ausrutschte und ich plötzlich eine komplette Kopie eines Eintrags auf dem Bildschirm hatte.
Alles was identisch mit dem Originaleintrag nur das Datum wurde als ca 1 Stunde später angezeigt als das Originaldatum.

Jetzt versuche ich herauszufinden wie man einen kompletten Eintrag kopiert, denn daß das geht weiß ich da es mir aus Versehen passiert ist - die Frage ist nur: "Wie macht man das, mit welcher Tastenkombination?"

Gruß,

Knut

Offline V@no

• If you don't tell me what to do, I won't tell you where you should go :)
  • Global Moderator
  • 4images Guru
  • mmm PHP...
    • View Profile
    • 4images MODs Demo
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:39:31 AM »
There are no such hot keys available in 4images itself. What you had was most probably your OS or browser's feature...

Personally I use Firefox (not Firebox :D) and when I have to submit multiple forms, I just hit back button which opens the form with everything filled out from previous submission.
Your first three "must do" before you ask a question:
Please do not PM me asking for help unless you've been specifically asked to do so. Such PMs will be deleted without answer. (forum rule #6)
Extension for Firefox/Thunderbird: Master Password+    Back/Forward History Tweaks (restartless)    Cookies Manager+    Fit Images (restartless for Thunderbird)